+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ceramic log repair

Post Likes

ceramic log repair

Is it possible to repair a broken ceramic log from a natural gas unit or is replacement the only option? It's a Y shaped log with one of the legs broken off

Post Likes
    The proper thing to do is to replace the log. What type of fireplace is this in?

Post Likes
    A Montigo 36DV unit, 18 years old.

Post Likes
    As long as it is a direct vent unit, I would drill two holes and pin it. If it is vent free, it must be replaced. JB

Post Likes
    How about using a dab of high temp silicone or jb weld to hold it together???

Post Likes
    Hi temp silicone will burn. You may be able to use 2 6" pieces of wire coat hanger as pins to hold the log pieces together.

Post Likes
    I dont know if it would hold but if you try that, I would back it up with a screw or 2 on the back side of the log. Just watch the log to make shure it doesnt fall and block a flame port. If it does, you might create sooting that will fill you FP and the siding at the term cap.

Post Likes
    A Montigo 36DV unit, 18 years old. Being this old I would doubt you could buy a replacement. This is what I would do is buy a tube of Fiberfrax ceramic paste and repair it ( only if the log is not damaged to bad ). Now the hard part is to find someone that carries the stuff ( do a google search and you maybe lucky ). Try Casey Ceramics in Texas as I ordered a case about 8 months ago and it never got here so they must still have it.

Post Likes
    Thanks fireplaceguru, are you flooding in your area yet? I hear the mighty Red is getting high!

Post Likes
    We just had another snow dump today and it is April 1, man do I hate the snow, the Red River will crest sometime next week and it is scary. Good luck with the repair.

Post Likes
    Hey Guru, we had 3/4" of snow here a month or so ago.......I hate snow too !!!!!.....and it was cold as heck here today as well. I don't think it got above 65 today.

Seriously, I didn't know you were that close to the Red River. Your office is on a river that flows indirectly into the Red River isn't it? Hope all goes well for you.

Post Likes
    when building prototype new stoves, we used to clue bits of ceramic together to get the best flow.
    We used the same high temperature glue they used to glue the glassfibre sealing ropes to the doors to make an air tight seal.
    You should be able to get a similar glue from a stove shop.
    it was almost like a ceramic paste rather than a glue.

Post Likes
    In a pinch I have inserted a long drywall screw to hold the two pieces together.

Post Likes

Confused Ceramic gas logs

Quote Originally Posted by blk View Post
    Is it possible to repair a broken ceramic log from a natural gas unit or is replacement the only option? It's a Y shaped log with one of the legs broken off
    I washed with garden hose the ceramic gas logs in my vented Napoleon natural gas fireplace , not realizing this is a no no!
    Anyway I have not reinstalled them as yet and need to know if it is safe to do so if they are not fully dried out.
    Thanks zek canada.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in