AS heritage 16 (communicating vs NON-communicating) - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    You might want to recheck how that scroll goes from one stage to the next.

Sorry, I stand corrected. I had assumed since the data sheet lists the compressor as 2 speed... that it in fact was 2 speed. But it's dual capacity by using a port to either reduce the compression or bypass refrigerant (not sure which since as a "mere mortal"...not a HVAC god I don't have access to the details of the unit design... Trane doesn't publish it's P&ID's) and the electrical drawing in the data sheet wasn't clear how the capacity change was accomplished. I suppose you could use a 2 speed motor... but it's much cheaper to use a valve... and the next step is price is to use 2 compressors. VFD's haven't yet been implemented in the mainstream residential product offerings.

So from a standpoint of noise, the condesor fan runns a little faster, but the compressor runs at the same speed, althouhg loaded more.

Quote Originally Posted by meb12345678 View Post
    Not sure why they listed the quietness as different. Likely also a mistake.
    I believe there are 2 different sounds tests involved. I've seen 2 diffrent numbrs for my XL16i I can't remember where. But in one location referencing one test standard it's 72 dB, in anther I think it was 75 dB.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12