Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Hmm

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    In your case, it would have been, transition pieces, and a sleeve for the damper.
    So they should order 24 x 8 w/ transitions and sleeve? Or what size?

Given all the others are 6" or 8" round ducts, except one other old rectangular one that it 10.25"wx4.5"H, is it possible that would create an inherent resistance such that, even with the proper size damper, the volume of air pushing against the damper in the main 24x7 trunk would still push through the damper excessively? Does that make sense?

Or will the proper sized damper solve the problem regardless of the volume of air pushing against the damper?

Zoning is for comfort, if the returns are still open on the first zone it may never have more than 2-3 degrees difference.
    Aire Serv of SW Connecticut- Gas heat, dual fuel and central a/c systems installed and serviced

Quote Originally Posted by Freezeking2000 View Post
    Zoning is for comfort, if the returns are still open on the first zone it may never have more than 2-3 degrees difference.
    The only two returns (pre-existing - just bought house in July) are both on the first floor in Zone 1. The HVAC company and I have discussed the fact the returns downstairs may be pulling warm air from upstairs and be contributing to the higher temps downstairs. We agreed that we will only know what effect that has on the temperature downstairs after we solve the excessive blow-by problem downstairs. I think that is a separate issue. When the blow-by issue is resolved, I will decide whether to add another return upstairs. I was disappointed that another return was not suggested when the system was sold for that very reason.

Thanks for bringing that up, but I still want them to get the blow-by issue resolved because it is not working as it should.

Quote Originally Posted by wildflower View Post
    So they should order 24 x 8 w/ transitions and sleeve? Or what size?

Given all the others are 6" or 8" round ducts, except one other old rectangular one that it 10.25"wx4.5"H, is it possible that would create an inherent resistance such that, even with the proper size damper, the volume of air pushing against the damper in the main 24x7 trunk would still push through the damper excessively? Does that make sense?

Or will the proper sized damper solve the problem regardless of the volume of air pushing against the damper?
    Installed properly, no problem.

Improperly, and you end up with a system like yours.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

beenthere thanks, your tag line rings so true with my experience with several contractors I've had work on the house. All well-recommended, in business 15-30 years, with local references. Do not know how else I could have vetted them, absent technical knowledge, I'll be much better at it next time, now that I know what has been poorly done and have learned more than I cared to know as a result.

Any way - so they should order custom damper 24 x 8 with transitions and sleeve?

A 24x8 is a standard size damper for Honeywell.(may not be a stock item in your area)
    They, or a sheet metal company will need to make the sleeve, and transitions.(not a big deal)
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Thanks for helping me understand the problem and solution.

It's fabulous to know there are knowledgeable, helpful professionals literally at my finger tips.

Take Care.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12