Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

54regcab,

Thank you for the reply. I had 4 contractors come out to bid this job and all quoted me a 5 ton unit. The home is 4700 ft^2 and is a new build...

Best regards,
    JC

4700ft with 1 unit is unusual for our area, most builders will split the load between 2 units. 1 story or 2? Zoned?

2 story and 2 zone
    Both of the contractors that I'm considering noted that the two stage unit would be a better choice but a single stage 13 seer unit could work given the ducting in place.

For 2 floors on that size house I strongly suggest separate systems for each floor. More heat will be needed downstairs, more A/C upstairs. Are the floors evenly divided or is the upstairs a lot smaller than downstairs?

Quote Originally Posted by 54regcab View Post
    For 2 floors on that size house I strongly suggest separate systems for each floor. More heat will be needed downstairs, more A/C upstairs. Are the floors evenly divided or is the upstairs a lot smaller than downstairs?
    X2

Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    X2
    x3

Thank you for your replies. The home is evenly divided between the floors. What I failed to mention is that the home is in a mild climate location (Washougal, WA) and that the bottom floor is a daylight basement. Given this information, should I still push for a second unit?

Also, does everyone feel that Rheem is preferable to Goodman?

Thanks!

The daylight basement and the upper floor will certainly have different heating/cooling requirements, I'd go 2 systems.

Quote Originally Posted by 54regcab View Post
    The daylight basement and the upper floor will certainly have different heating/cooling requirements, I'd go 2 systems.
    X2

Most people that have zone systems are not satisfied with them, this is mainly because they are usually not ducted and zoned properly. If done right it will keep upstairs and down within a couple degrees of each other, if not done right you will have 5-15 degree difference between up and down, the latter being more common

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123