Is a Payne PH13 and Acceptable replacement for a Trane Weathertron Elite??

Is a Payne PH13 and Acceptable replacement for a Trane Weathertron Elite Heat Pump?

Warranty company said that this is a feature for feature replacement.

The company will replace similar features, efficiency, and capacity but is not responsible for matching brand, dimensions or color.

spine fin versus copper/aluminum coil:
    Fully louvered panels versus ill fitting light wire:
    Does the air handler coil need to be replaced on a 1985 unit if a new heat pump is installed?

The company that installed it told me to go to Home Depot and get a couple of bricks and set them on top of the Payne to keep it from rattling so much.

ask the warranty company what the seer rating eer rating and hspf is on the system as installed unless you have a payne indoor unit they are not a match and there is no rating on it . the problem with home warranty is you will only get the cheap stuff that uses the most electric

You may have serious problems from them hacking the 13 SEER heat pump on a coil designed for 8 or 9 SEER. If you are in a cool climate and they set the refrigerant level in heating mode, they may have to come back in warm weather and add more refrigerant since the old indoor coil is small. Then they will have to come back in the fall and remove it. Twice a year visits if this happens will be pricey. Not to mention compromised efficiency, performance and compressor life.

I'd find a GOOD contractor and have a matched indoor unit installed.

Bricks on top to stop the rattle, that's a good one

If they didn't change the indoor coil. Call them and ask them to put it in writing. That they WILL NOT void the warranty on the mismatch system.

Home Warranty copanies have been known to void the warranty on mismatched systems.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

They already put it in.

I have 2 bricks on top right now, still vibrates just as much. (Bricks per installer advice how to keep in from vibrating so much.)

Called about warranty, they said that there is no warranty on units they provide. They said that had it had a warranty in the first place, they would not have had to pay for the replacement.

We were without heat from Feb 08 to March 10.

Due to 4+ weeks no fix, I started recording conversations at 2 weeks

I have him on tape telling me to place brick on top, he said they do it all the time..

What I meant.
    Is will they void their warranty now, if the indoor coil doesn't match.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Welcome to the wonderful world of Home Warranty encouraged mismatched hackery.

Lower efficiencies, lower capacities, shorter lifespan, money in their pocket!

They don't care about you except for your cash...
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

Wait a second... how can a company thats doing warranty service, make a repair or replacement that voids the warranty contract of the equipment repaired under that warranty.

That's like taking you car to the dealership to fix a blown head gasket... having them install the wrong replacement gasket, then telling you when that one blows that the wrong gasket was installed so now your car's engine warranty is void. Uhh...they did the repair.

Or maybe it's a little like eating at a restaurant and being served chicke when you ordered fish... the server takes a bite of the chicken and tells you "yup, that's chicken, but I can give you the fish now because someone ate off the plate".

Am I missing something???

If the warranty company could get you a cheaper replacement piece of equipment, they would. In addition, warranty companies "reward" contractors with the lowest average invoice by giving them more work. This has been a public service announcement.
    White Bear Township, Minnesota
    www.summitheating.com

If you had 13 SEER coverage, the air handler should have been replaced as well.

but this is typical of Home Warranty companies, the adage "You get what you pay for" would apply here, they do not replace equipment based on brand, almost all of them use Payne for replacements.

as far as the noise, get rid of the bricks and loosen every screw you can find just a tad, or tell their technician to do it, that usually quietens them up