Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Well the fireplace company found nothing wrong and are more than happy to order another piece of glass for us. Oh, and its only $300. Great! And a ninety day warrenty (usesless now that spring is here)... why in just a couple of years I can pay for the whole fireplace in glass!!... I contacted the H&G on the web and they were of no use whatsoever.... I guess our mistake was waiting so long and installing this fireplace..

Why dont you cover the FP up and have the glass installed in Oct. Maybe put indoor plants in front of it (after covering the opening because of bees and other insects). That way you will be under warranty durring the heating season.

Yes that is the plan.... I just wish they would have found a problem.

Tempered Glass does shatter

I have this happen to me about 1-2 times a year. it usually happens a short time after it has been run after servicing. Yes, uneven stressing around the perimeter can contribute to the glass shattering. It may be that the glass was installed with stresses. But tempered glass does just shatter. Ask a guy that does automotive glass replacement and he will tell you this.

If you have read all these posts you know what to look for.

Thanks. I know what to look for and will gingerly place the new glass in the fall. Thanks to everyone who responded.

steve

Can you use fibreglass tape around the edges of the glass, to cushion it? http://www.mercergasket.com/non-meta...%20AND%20CORDS

Here we go again

Another year another broken glass. The fireplace had run about 6 hours the day before and had been off about 18 hours or so and boom it shattered again. Intresting enough if you can make out the picture the break pattern looks the same. I am at a loss but at $300 a year I am ready to yank this pos out.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

The next step is www.cpsc.gov and your States Attorney's office. BTW I have reported a Child Car seat, high chair, detail sander, Tripplet Meter, and a dishwasher to CPSC. All ended up being subject to recall.

It is interesting that you had two pieces break in 2 years.....and they broke after they have been turned off for hours. I usually see them shatter while expanding from heating up, but never while cold. Do you have small children or pets? That may be your problem.
    Common sense is NOT common !!!

i know that Napolean fireplaces have builder models and u can't put any brick panels inside or it will chatter the glass. try and get a ceramic glass i think those ones are heater rated.

Definately not the kids. My daughter 20 was sitting in the room doing college homework and it just shattered. That is what is disturbing. Each time 3 times now it has shattered when off. And usually off for a long time. I worry somehow its building pressure in there but it doesn't look possible to do that. The point of "impact" seems to be in the same place. 3 inches down from the top and over to the left side about 9 inches over... look at the pics its wierd. The last 2 times it broke were in March after a season of using. I wonder could there be a gas leak? I don't think so since the pilot light has been on since november and it just happened. The latest glass was ceramic. I just am at a loss. I guess the plan is to rip it out.

Steve, post your location and maybe someone can direct you to a true trouble shooter for your problem. I've serviced thousands of gas fireplaces and have never heard of this happening several times.
    Common sense is NOT common !!!

St Louis Mo, Metro East Area

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast