+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Direct Vent Fireplace Glass Shatters

Post Likes

Confused Direct Vent Fireplace Glass Shatters

Glad I found this site. Looks like a lot of informed people hang here.

Okay here is the story. My dealer hasn't been too helpful. I bought a fireplace in 1997 and it sat in clean and dry storage till it was installed, two seasons ago. Its a gas Direct vent made by Royal RH5500.... but the warrenty says Heat-n-Glow so I suspect its some sort of subsidiary. Its a one piece glass Museum front I think its called. You can't open it. Anyway last year in about Feb we wake up one morning and the entire glass is shattered. Looks like frosted glass its so shattered. Okay maybe old,,,, maybe a chip... sure I get a new piece of glass from the dealer. A couple of days ago... fire place again not on, hadn't been used since sometime the night before. We hear a loud pop n crackle. No impact, not while trying to light... it was just there... broke on its own. I have no idea what would cause the glass to shatter... so guy from dealer comes out.... looks... says gee, I don't know.... I am perplexed .... i sure don't want to spend $300 a season on glass... that much I know.... has anyone seen anything like this before... did I buy a cheapie....is that the problem? any insights would be appreciated.

thanks
    steve

Post Likes

Picture

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68376096@N00/3346557175/

here is a picture of the glass if that helps any.

thanks
    steve

Post Likes
    Sounds like it's something with the frame pinching/binding on the glass. Don't know your particular unit but thats what I would look into. You said it doesn't open so when you dismantle frame/trim does all seem level,plum or out of square in any way? This is tempered glass and is very fragile so if it is not sitting in frame correctly that will happen. Was/is there some kind gasket or seal around glass? Maybe from sitting in storage so long that has become dried out or hardened. Anyway thats what I would be looking at.Also make sure unit is well leveled and plum because if cabinet is cheaper that will cause binding also. Also specified clearances that allow for expansion and contraction of unit.Hope this helps.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the response. When I replaced the first glass I was very careful to make sure nothing was pinching etc. It did have a gasket integrated into the frame of the glass. I hope the dealer today checked levels and plumb but I will check that too.

thanks

Post Likes
    Just curious,was it professionally installed by a licensed contractor ? That might give you some recourse as opposed to if you installed yourself. I definitely feel it has to do with glass binding in someway.

Post Likes
    OK, I'll throw my 2 cents in, for what it is worth. Also suspect binding, but as a result of expansion and contraction. Fireplace on the night before, broken glass in the morning. Not enough clearance to alllow the natural movement.

Post Likes
    OK, here is my 2 cents. Suspect that binding is a result of improper clearances to allow for expansion and contraction. Firepace on at night, broken glass in the morning.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the replys. The actual fireplace was installed by a professional, carpenter. I installed the glass so possibly I could have misaligned it the first time. Thing is I also put the replacement in so maybe I am doing something consistanly wrong... but it doesn't appear to be rocket science. It really just goes in 1 way and its been there for a year. We used it nightly and some days probably 16 hours a day. Last weekend when it broke it had been 12 plus hours since we used it last... seems the contraction should be over by then. I will have the dealer install the glass this time, he never really offered the last time.

Post Likes

Cool HG Royal Hearth series

You need to get a qualified professional to inspect that fireplace before you try to use it again. Carpenters are NOT qualified to install, inspect or service fireplaces! The tech must ensure that not only is the unit properly installed but operating to spec. He will need a new glass front to test the operation ,test for leaks and verify proper ignition sequence (4 seconds) and burning. He will need to inspect the vent termination and as much of the venting as possible. Verify correct fuel setup. On the glass, verify the glass has room for thermal expansion and that the wing nuts are snug but not torqued down.

The RH5500 was the first ceramic fiber log fireplace built by HG under the Gas Technologies Inc name back in the mid-90's. Be sure your replacement glass has the rope gasket and not the red rubber silicone strip. If I remember correctly, that glass came with a metal frame around the perimeter. Remove diamond rings and keep the glass away from hard, sharp points such as a raised brick hearth extension. Remember, you want the glass snug but not cranked down.
    HTH,
    Hearthman

Post Likes

Get A Profession F/P Company Out

Their might be more to the picture and even pros can miss when not looking at all the factors. For the safety of your family it will be a cheap fix.
    Do it right the first time.

Post Likes
    Thanks again for all the comments. I did have the professional Fireplace installers come out today. They checked glass install, they measured and they went outside and measured checked the vent. All was to their satisfaction. The glass wasn't too clamped down. It does have that rope gasket and the metal frame. Its not in contact with the tile. The fireplace store thought everything looked in order....so its got to be something wierd... I am not sure if they did any combustion checks as they didn't have another piece of glass with them.

thanks
    steve

Post Likes
    I went on a broken glass call this last fall on a heat and glo. Upon inspection I could not find a single thing wrong with the unit and I checked everything. Cleaned the unit up, installed new glass, operated the unit for awhile and its been fine since then (5 months). I also broke a B vent glass one time by taking it out of the FP for service. It just completely shattered in my hand. I didnt drop and it was not touching anything when it broke. @#%^@# Happens.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by JBCat View Post
    I went on a broken glass call this last fall on a heat and glo. Upon inspection I could not find a single thing wrong with the unit and I checked everything. Cleaned the unit up, installed new glass, operated the unit for awhile and its been fine since then (5 months). I also broke a B vent glass one time by taking it out of the FP for service. It just completely shattered in my hand. I didnt drop and it was not touching anything when it broke. @#%^@# Happens.
    This is what I am worried about. I hope its not a design problem. I guess until we get the new glass and combustion checked I just wont know... because 2 in 2 years is more than "@#%^@# Happens". Especially at a cost of now I am told $300 for a piece of glass.

Post Likes
    Well the fireplace company found nothing wrong and are more than happy to order another piece of glass for us. Oh, and its only $300. Great! And a ninety day warrenty (usesless now that spring is here)... why in just a couple of years I can pay for the whole fireplace in glass!!... I contacted the H&G on the web and they were of no use whatsoever.... I guess our mistake was waiting so long and installing this fireplace..

Post Likes
    Why dont you cover the FP up and have the glass installed in Oct. Maybe put indoor plants in front of it (after covering the opening because of bees and other insects). That way you will be under warranty durring the heating season.

Post Likes
    Yes that is the plan.... I just wish they would have found a problem.

Post Likes

Tempered Glass does shatter

I have this happen to me about 1-2 times a year. it usually happens a short time after it has been run after servicing. Yes, uneven stressing around the perimeter can contribute to the glass shattering. It may be that the glass was installed with stresses. But tempered glass does just shatter. Ask a guy that does automotive glass replacement and he will tell you this.

If you have read all these posts you know what to look for.

Post Likes
    Thanks. I know what to look for and will gingerly place the new glass in the fall. Thanks to everyone who responded.

steve

Post Likes
    Can you use fibreglass tape around the edges of the glass, to cushion it? http://www.mercergasket.com/non-meta...%20AND%20CORDS

Post Likes

Here we go again

Another year another broken glass. The fireplace had run about 6 hours the day before and had been off about 18 hours or so and boom it shattered again. Intresting enough if you can make out the picture the break pattern looks the same. I am at a loss but at $300 a year I am ready to yank this pos out.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in