Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Istheretruth View Post
    Actual information is what I need. Rants from people just wanting attention I can get next to the dumpster behind the local liquor store.
    I had a Trane heat pump which did not have a leak, an electrical item failed and the Keebler Elves sent out by the Warranty company could not figure out how to fix it in over 4 weeks.

Finally I sent them a demand letter, certified and they had the elves come and replace it with a Payne PH13.

It began to rattle once they got it started and I was told to get a couple of brick from Home Depot and set them on top to quiet it down. The vibration is so strong that I can feel it in the house.
    The old unit did not vibrate or rattle.

I had a Trane Weathertron Elite.
    The cabinet was all metal and solid. Quiet and worked great until the timer/ something went out.

Now I have a rattling, noise maker that seems like it was built by Yugo.
    Though, Yougos might be sturdier.

Their contract states that they will replace with similar features, efficiency and capacity but not similar brand, dimension or color.

So I want to find out if this is a feature on the replacement.
    I'm not sure it is worth the trouble so I want to know how important it is.
    Ahhh... this is a warranty thing. I'm sorry.

So you're looking for objective data to force the warranty company to install a higher quality unit. Good lucky. Home warranties aren't worth much more than the paper they are printed on... or rather seem to be more of a hassle than they are worth and you'll end up spending a lot of money just to "fix" what they supposedly repaired.

It's too bad the warranty companies won't just cut you a check based on a low bid quote for what the repair costs.... then you could apply that towards a good quality repair or installation from a reputable company.

Form the warranty company standpoint, the Payne POS builder grade... possibly used unit is 13SEER, XX tons so therefore it's comparable.

However, unless they changed the indoor coil at the same time, it's possible that the A/C system is no longer 13 SEER.

I don't know why they couldn't just hire a local trane company to fix the existing unit. Sounds like it just needed a couple new parts.

1. First contractor said air handler and heat pump needed to be replaced due to part not being available. Plus they said, if they get the part, something else will fail soon, as it was down 5 weeks last year.

2. Second Contractor spent 4 weeks trying to repair it, though I'm not sure if he can tie his shoes without help. Kept blaming the thermostat (replaced 4 times.) VisionPro 8000.

3. Third contractor said heat pump and air handler needed to be replaced.

4. They called the second contractor to just replace heat pump. (now these guys told me that the reason they changed their mind was because they finally called Trane tech support, which is usually such a pain in the ass that they only did it as a last resort.

I just don't like feeling like I got ripped a new one. Without lube even...

Quote Originally Posted by Istheretruth View Post
    1. First contractor said air handler and heat pump needed to be replaced due to part not being available. Plus they said, if they get the part, something else will fail soon, as it was down 5 weeks last year.
    How old is this Unit?
    If you help others then you are a Success

Unless this thing is 20 years old, I have trouble believing the parts aren't available. I think you mentioned that it's a 13 SEER Payne... does it have an indoor coil compatible with a 13 SEER? If the old unit was 13SEER, then it's probably less than 10 years old, so parts should be available. You're getting a load of BS.

EDIT: Nevermind...just read your other post.

Spine fin performance study may or may not be relative to what you're after
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by push View Post
    Spine fin performance study may or may not be relative to what you're after
    Interesting thanks.
    If you help others then you are a Success

Ditch the Home Warranty hacks, find a competent contractor, have them install a matching air handler and you may salvage a decent system out of this.

You wont get a Trane with a Spine Fin from a Home Warranty company, that ship has sailed

spine fin propaganda

One more comparison chart
    Last edited by push; 03-11-2009 at 10:26 PM. Reason: I'm done now ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Swampfox View Post
    Ditch the Home Warranty hacks, find a competent contractor, have them install a matching air handler and you may salvage a decent system out of this.

You wont get a Trane with a Spine Fin from a Home Warranty company, that ship has sailed

I agree. You had a what... 23 year old system. It's at the end of it's life... actually past it This wasn't a secret when buying the home. It's due for replacement. Get a new high efficiency system, take advantage of the tax credits available. Get a quote from 2 or 3 reputable contractors, study up by reading lots of posts on this forum and choose the best contractor.... not the best price.

Thank you everyone.
    I read the contract and it reads same features.
    After reading the pdf which contains fin spine information and looking at the charts, I think that a judge ought to agree that I did not get a similar product.

As far as it being old, sure I agree. I did know it was old when I moved in. Though that is what they sell that warranty for. They should not take the money if they don't plan to pay out when necessary. That is their business, they gamble that most people will pay $400 and never need a thing.

When i started in this industry most OEMs tested for leaks using air under water and looking for a buble. This can be very unreliable as it is dependent on a person to watch for that bubble. Now most use a mass spec. or snifer. I would think for those who have need around you are seeing less DOAs than say in the 1980s

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12