+ Reply to Thread

Thread: First piece of equipment

Post Likes

First piece of equipment

I am new to HVAC and although my new employer will be supplying all the equipment, I want to start familiarizing myself with test equipment.

Any recommendations on what I should purchase for my first piece? I was thinking of the SCM3 Fieldpiece, any thoughts?

Post Likes
    Multimeter, with amp clamp.
    CO is dangerous and needs to be tested but you'll get more miles out of a good meter.

Post Likes
    Agreed. A Fluke 901 (I think) hvac specific multimeter is a very good place to start.

Measures just about anything you will need to start.

Post Likes
    The first tool and most valuable tool I bought when I first started in this field was a Calculator so I can add up the Paychecks! :-) You must mean a Fluke 902. If you are ever feeling suicidal and want to end you life buy a UEI.

Post Likes
    jpsmith1cm,
    That Fluke 902 is pretty sweet, but I bought a Fluke 116 which is also HVAC specific due to already having a Fluke 322 to use for amperage.
    Had I not already had the 322 I would have went with the 902.

But the gear whore in me says I may still need the 902.

Post Likes
    see what tools he will supply first..ive found that some bosses will buy all you need

Post Likes
    AS you progress through your career stuff will change you will find out what works for you and what won't.
    Fieldpeace good for resi. work ,they used to be a work House but Quality has declined and flexibility with the stick design has improved; Fluke rugged but some can be temperamental to ambient temperatures, the more money you spend the better the meter (fluke). Meter specific application is your best choice , but costly, so start now.

micron gages/meters sense the took my mercury gage away its a crap shoot, the yellow jackets have had the best results for me.

dumbbell for combustion test a very good check out-tool; chemical absorption of co2 cheap and very reliable, old school co2: new o2 , they are proportional,and clue you in to see if more investigation is needed.

The best tool of all is "gray-matter" keep investing in that, and the dividends will pay! The best tool are no good if you do not no how to use them.

902 a good start

Post Likes
    901, 902. Whatever it takes.

Regardless of what meter you choose, that really should be your first purchase aside from a good set of gauges.

Having a meter of any kind means nothing if YOU don't know how to use it.

Buy good tools. Learn how to use them. Take care of them. This is an investment in your future.

Post Likes
    Thank-you everyone. My boss has all the tools, but recently we have received a tax credit for any new equipment for a trades person that I wanted to take advantage of.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in