Post Likes

P-Trap on a down flow system

I have a down flow system (ie: a furnace on top of an a-coil) and I noticed that it does not have a p-trap on the condensation line. Given that it is a down flow setup it appears the trap would have to go through the floor into the crawl and back out again. Is there a solution for this issue besides an electric pump?

If I live in an area that is mostly requiring heat is there any water going down this line? I am assuming that there is only water buildup when AC is used.

Thanks

Post Likes
    The drain doesn't have to be trapped for it to drain. There may be another reason to trap the drain. The a/c coil only drains in the cooling cycle.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ball a/c View Post
    The drain doesn't have to be trapped for it to drain. There may be another reason to trap the drain. The a/c coil only drains in the cooling cycle.
    Sorry, I may have mislead you. I have a heat pump. If in my area I am predominately in heat mode then am I losing a lot of conditioned air through the condensate line unnecessarily? Do I need a condensate line if my system is set to heat only?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jechow View Post
    Sorry, I may have mislead you. I have a heat pump. If in my area I am predominately in heat mode then am I losing a lot of conditioned air through the condensate line unnecessarily? Do I need a condensate line if my system is set to heat only?
    We may not be understanding each other. If you never use the cooling, you don't have to have a drain. If you truly have a heat pump, the inside unit is an air handler and the coil is in the negative part of the a/h and needs a trap to drain. If the coil is in the positive part of the a/h (downstream) it doesn't have to be trapped. I guess if you never used a/c, you could plug the drain. In my world, when we say furnace, we mean gas heat. Have a good day

Post Likes
    ac or haet pump or both.
    it is counterflow and in a positive pressure,
    you do not need to trap it for any reason!
    I WILL SELL WORK,GENERATE BUSINESS, GO GET NEW CUSTOMERS!
    YOU SHUT THE HELL UP AND QUIT RUNNING YOUR MOUTH!

Post Likes

P-trap

There will be some conditioned air lost through the condensate line during the heat cycle, most accept this as a neccessary evil.The condensate line could be capped during the heat cycle to avoid this if you are vigilant in removing it when cooling is needed.