Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I have had that charcol filter in place for about 2 weeks. I am going to pull it out tomorrow and see if it smells or not..I might also try to determine what part of the system smells the strongest.

Also, is there a high-end charcoal or other substance filter that I can buy? I havent been to the local hvac supply to check, for convience I went to the big box to get the current one I have in there...

Just found a bunch online....

Everytime I have smelled the ordor you are talking about the heat exchanger was busted.

Doesn't busted heat exchanger = carbon monoxide? I am guessing the alarm would be screaming if that were the case because of the strength of the smell.

Quote Originally Posted by mike robinson View Post
    Everytime I have smelled the ordor you are talking about the heat exchanger was busted.
    So, how to tell if it was the paint, is now a cracked HE or both? Might as well not be barking up the wrong tree.

Quote Originally Posted by chevys10 View Post
    Doesn't busted heat exchanger = carbon monoxide? I am guessing the alarm would be screaming if that were the case because of the strength of the smell.

guessing can KILL!

the alarms from the retail stores are only good to a point, read their required levels for alarm.

if you valued the paint guys experience, find an HVAC guy that others value and pay him to educate you on the issue (s).

Need to find a good HVAC guy. The last one that I dealt with in another house was called for a routine furnace cleaning/inspection and spent 5 minutes looking at it and said it needed to be replaced and he would not clean it and left. Called in another guy and he did a good (I think) cleaning/inspection and said the furnace was fine. I do most home repairs myself no matter how complex but I do not have a problem calling in an expert when necessary...if i can find an expert...I just don't know where to look.

Quote Originally Posted by pacnw View Post
    guessing can KILL!

the alarms from the retail stores are only good to a point, read their required levels for alarm.

if you valued the paint guys experience, find an HVAC guy that others value and pay him to educate you on the issue (s).
    I'd think the retail CO alarms are more prone to false positives
    http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
    than false negatives.

http://www.stopcarbonmonoxide.com/in...m?p=page&id=15

professional alarms vs. retail alarms

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12