Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

House with radiators: Best A/C option for it.

My house consists of basement,main floor and second floor.
    The basement has 500 sqf
    Main floor has 630 sqf ( open concept)
    Second floor has 500 sqf (Bedrooms/office)

We currently have water radiators that heat the house, and are looking at what our options are for getting A/C in this older house. Our main concern is to cool off the main floor and second floor as the basement we assume will be cool on its own as cool air naturally falls down.

I have researched the options out there:
    Forced Air from basement up via duct work.
    High Velocity cooling from the top down ( attic )
    Low Velocity cooling from the top down ( attic )

Out of the 3 i have no idea which is the least expensive and which is the most.
    I also would like to know if either of the 3 systems would be enough to cool off the house.

The house is going through a complete interior renovation, all the walls are being insulated and drywall.

Any advice anyone can provide it would be great. I have just now started to contact a few companies for quotes and opinions but would like to have an idea what might be the best route to go before i talk to anyone.

Cheers and Thank You.

Look into mini-splits.
    General public's attitude towards our energy predicament: "I reject the reality of finite resource depletion and substitute it with my own; energy is infinite, we just need an alternative storage medium to run the cars on. The economy can grow indefinitely - we just need to "green" everything! Technology is energy! Peak what?"

If you have room in the attic, get a conventional system.
    If you have room in the basement, get a conventional.

Convention systems usually are lower cost to install.
    And most times, operate for less money.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

With those small square footages, have your condsidered a ductless or ducted mini split system.

Mitsubishi- www.mrslim.com/
    Sanyo- www.sanyohvac.com/products_main.php
    Fujistu- www.fujitsugeneral.com/products.htm

Are just a few.

wow the response time is amazing Thank you.

I have looked into those ductless and mini split A/Cs. I actually have a house in Europe that has that system and I personally hate it. I prefer having a set climate through out the house instead of zone cooling, hence why i am looking at the other options.

With ductless and mini splits being out of the question, what is my next best bet.

For the fellow that mentioned conventional system i assume that is what i referred to as Forced Air?

What you termed as low velocity, would be a conventional system.

Both conventional and high velocity are forced air.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by The Punisher View Post
    wow the response time is amazing Thank you.

I have looked into those ductless and mini split A/Cs. I actually have a house in Europe that has that system and I personally hate it. I prefer having a set climate through out the house instead of zone cooling, hence why i am looking at the other options.

With ductless and mini splits being out of the question, what is my next best bet.

For the fellow that mentioned conventional system i assume that is what i referred to as Forced Air?
    All three of them manufactures, make a system that is ducted also. I like using them because they make them in the smaller sizes, so you can put the proper size cooling on each floor.

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    What you termed as low velocity, would be a conventional system.

Both conventional and high velocity are forced air.
    So would what some refer to as an AtticPak be considered conventional system? Here in toronto, ontario, people mostly talk about spacepak HV and atticPak LV. However i have not found a manufacturer site that talks about LV. Perhaps you can link me to one.

Quote Originally Posted by ascj View Post
    All three of them manufactures, make a system that is ducted also. I like using them because they make them in the smaller sizes, so you can put the proper size cooling on each floor.
    I don't see those systems on their site, would that system not have those indoor wall units?

Atticpac, may be a term used in your area.

All conventional systems are LV(low velocity)
    Contractor locator map

What kinda duct size am I looking at with the Conventional system If I was to go from attic down?

That depends on the size system/amount of air that is needed to be moved to cool that area.

A load calc will determine air volume.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by The Punisher View Post
    So would what some refer to as an AtticPak be considered conventional system? Here in toronto, ontario, people mostly talk about spacepak HV and atticPak LV. However i have not found a manufacturer site that talks about LV. Perhaps you can link me to one.

I don't see those systems on their site, would that system not have those indoor wall units?
    Mitsubishi- http://www.mrslim.com/Products/subCa...CategoryID=158

Sanyo- http://www.sanyohvac.com/productList.php?cat1=1&cat2=8

Fujitsu- http://www.fujitsugeneral.com/multi.htm

Thanx I soon realized what you meant in your earlier post and found the links.

I guess I have to do some research, and get some quotes and see which will be the better choice.

Thanx all again for the info, will post if I need some more info.
    Cheers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast