Angry new technician bryant 398aaz ignition lock out driving me nuts

It all started a couple weeks ago when i got a no heat call. the furnace is a bryant 398aaz series a (plus 90) (nat gas). on my first visit i made the mistake of opening the blower door to start my troubleshooting and of course the controls reset and all components started and ran normally.I cycled the furnace on/off several times to try and re-create the situation that caused the lockout to no avail. the spark igniton will light the pilot the first time, every time.
    A few days later I got the callback right before i needed to leave for my class at HVAC school. I had a limited time to diagnose this and the condensate hose appeared to be backed up, so i thought i would clean out the hoses and trap and check the air hose to the pressure switch. the furnace again started up and ran just fine.
    Today it locked out again. talked to the local carrier dealer and got schematics for the furnace (not readable on furnace) and found that there was no voltage leaving the ignition lockout control. I replaced the lockout control and furnace is running again, but with 2 call backs on this job already i am concerned there may be another issue i am missing. Does anyone have experience on these nightmare furnaces? is this lockout control known to fail? why is this happening intermittently?
    Last edited by Slavecorps; 03-10-2009 at 08:29 PM.

get your post count up and apply for a pro membership. There you will be able to get some info on alot of things

I saw from your other post that you're in school learning the trade. You're out doing service work? Are you working for an established HVAC company while doing service calls? If you're out on your own doing service work you might want to check to see if your state/county/city requires a license. You might want to check with your instructors (if any of them have industry hands on experience) and as them about liability and insurance.

As for the 398's, they were a workhorse furnace. Like most other HVAC equipment most of thier problems were caused by either poor installation, poor maintenance or a combination of both. Our company installed and serviced hundreds of them and went through very few repair parts to the point that most of them road around in the service trucks until the labels were rubbed off.

Your asking if the lockout control is known to fail goes to show that you've just barely started your learning curve. Everything fails eventually. Don't be to quick to call a furnace a "nightmare" because you're having trouble finding a service tech's most favorite thing in the world .... intermittent problems!

You'll go a long way in the business if you just remember one thing..... if you don't learn something new everyday you're not doing it right.

Get your posts up and apply for professional status where the rest of the pros on this site are always happy to help.
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

Yes firecontrol I am working for an established business. ive been in the field for 7 months or so, and most of the time i do alright. my state (IL) does not require a license to work on any of the HVAC equipment unless dealing with refrigerant. As for being a student, i will be finished with school in a few weeks, but school can only teach so much (i have got the most out of it that i possibly could, top of my class) Every day i give 100% and try to learn what i can and spend all my extra time trying to learn more. I have every intention of developing myself into a top technician, but these intermittent issues have me completely lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Slavecorps View Post
    Yes firecontrol I am working for an established business. ive been in the field for 7 months or so, and most of the time i do alright. my state (IL) does not require a license to work on any of the HVAC equipment unless dealing with refrigerant. As for being a student, i will be finished with school in a few weeks, but school can only teach so much (i have got the most out of it that i possibly could, top of my class) Every day i give 100% and try to learn what i can and spend all my extra time trying to learn more. I have every intention of developing myself into a top technician, but these intermittent issues have me completely lost.
    Shoot me an e-mail, I have some info for you that will help. My e-mail is in my profile.
    Sometimes when I consider what tremendous consequences come from little things, I am tempted to think there are no little things!

Who ya workin' for?

Where ya goin to school?

sprintmj19,
    i have to cover my arse and not be too specific but i work and go to school in the chicago burbs.