Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: big shops

I never really noticed it until I went to a bigger shop and started working on some BIG stuff. I started to feel a bit better then my fellow techs, thanks for bringing me back to earth. lol
    I STARTED WITH NOTHING, AND I STILL HAVE MOST OF IT!

Quote Originally Posted by allstar08 View Post
    I never really noticed it until I went to a bigger shop and started working on some BIG stuff. I started to feel a bit better then my fellow techs, thanks for bringing me back to earth. lol
    WOW1 wow! do you think it is a right of passage?

I feel it too,
    I WILL SELL WORK,GENERATE BUSINESS, GO GET NEW CUSTOMERS!
    YOU SHUT THE HELL UP AND QUIT RUNNING YOUR MOUTH!

I really do, when you go from working on malls, to working in high rises. When you need a backround check just to get a key card, you can't help but feel like your more important.

I really do, when you go from working on malls, to working in high rises. When you need a backround check just to get a key card, you can't help but feel like your more important.
    I AGREE

Confused big shops-----small shops

Quote Originally Posted by supertek65 View Post
    it seems like guys from big shops think they are better than us guys from small shops!

kinda makes me mad!
    in my long career , i've worked for both . 2 attitudes prevail in our area . #1 is the guys that work for the large shops work on a wide variety of larger and more advanced equipment and systems that smaller shops don't see , like centrifugals , and ddc control systems ,etc. They also get free schooling in these disciplines and are very valuable to their companys and are always getting over scale. #2 they always get the best trucks and bennies 'cause guys like that are hard to find and train , so yes those guys have attitude at supply houses and meetings . smaller shops usually don't have these opportunities to work on that great stuff due to the lack of manpower , equipment , and huge bonding needed for this work . but , small shops have a place too,usually resi thats just as important , it's up to a tech to choose the path to take. Heavy comm'l work takes a lot of individual initiative for learning & schooling that a lot of guys aren't diciplined for...............Jack O yeah , i almost forgot the ongoing war between union and non union guys too because the resentment of the non union guys over the way higher scale of the union guys get just walking in the door vs th n u guys that have to work for years just to get near the same pay and the n u guys always feel that they are better techs anyway.......

Quote Originally Posted by supertek65 View Post
    does your big huge polish head and snorkel fit in crawl spaces?
    LOL... only in the larger crawl spaces!
    Silent Service........ Death From Below!

Somewhere in Kansas, a town found a village idiot!

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbleheadski View Post
    LOL... only in the larger crawl spaces!
    you should just work in large wet areas?
    lol

I AGREE AND UNDERSTAND YOU ARE SAYING
    Dieon Sanders could be cocky, cus if you ever ever ever even thought of throwing it his way he was going to return it for 6!
    You could still be nice?

Quote Originally Posted by rojacman View Post
    in my long career , i've worked for both . 2 attitudes prevail in our area . #1 is the guys that work for the large shops work on a wide variety of larger and more advanced equipment and systems that smaller shops don't see , like centrifugals , and ddc control systems ,etc. They also get free schooling in these disciplines and are very valuable to their companys and are always getting over scale. #2 they always get the best trucks and bennies 'cause guys like that are hard to find and train , so yes those guys have attitude at supply houses and meetings . smaller shops usually don't have these opportunities to work on that great stuff due to the lack of manpower , equipment , and huge bonding needed for this work . but , small shops have a place too,usually resi thats just as important , it's up to a tech to choose the path to take. Heavy comm'l work takes a lot of individual initiative for learning & schooling that a lot of guys aren't diciplined for...............Jack O yeah , i almost forgot the ongoing war between union and non union guys too because the resentment of the non union guys over the way higher scale of the union guys get just walking in the door vs th n u guys that have to work for years just to get near the same pay and the n u guys always feel that they are better techs anyway.......

Quote Originally Posted by rojacman View Post
    Wow! I actually agree with what you are saying, almost. As a reformed non union guy I can say I did not have an air of superiority over union guys. I never thought I was a better tech. I did believe that my work would stand up to union scrutiny, and I was wrong.

to hell with the union-- the south will rise again LMAO LOL

Talking hey allstar

Wow! I actually agree with what you are saying, almost. As a reformed non union guy I can say I did not have an air of superiority over union guys. I never thought I was a better tech. I did believe that my work would stand up to union scrutiny, and I was wrong.
    i did'nt mean to paint all union guys with a broad brush , but a certain type if tech with above average skills and a good position will sometimes act like a pompous ass among others not as skilled yet and also that attitude grates on the inside maintenance , janitorial , and custodial people in large instutions , coming in with a superior air , etc. Among the many skills needed in this trade are people skills and a little humility , especially when you fix something that they coulden't. our shop pulled more than one guy out of a great account just for riling up the inside guys. i always had a little touch of maturity even at a young age and always knew how to act among these guys & always got asked to lunch at break time & had alot of accounts trusted me with their computer passwords for their bas systems to keep an eye on things when they had a day off............Jack

once again I agree. People skills are huge.

Smile background check

hey allstar, i had the mother of all background checks when we got a contract to do some pneumatic control rehabs at Argonne Labs , at a top secret gov't facility on their base . we had to fill out a 6 part form detailing our life all the way back to kindergarten. I started getting calls from friends , relatives , old teachers , etc asking if i was in trouble as the fbi was visiting them asking all kinds of questions about me. It took 6 months to get. Wow the job was full of cia & marine guards with machine guns. never did find out what was going on , if u showed any interest in an experiment going on , a guy in a suit jumps out and asks u " is there something you need to know here?" Great food though , free. i think i may still have that top secret clearance......Jack

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast