+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: big shops

Post Likes
    The same guys I see in the supply houses running their pie-holes about doing this big job and how great a job they do are the same ones that I have followed behind on jobs that go out of warranty from the big companys and have been rigged just enough to get by. The guys that are confident in their skills and work hard don't feel a need to try a prove it to everybody they meet.
    "Paddle faster, I hear banjo music"

Post Likes
    Daddy always told me if you have to tell people how great you are you more than likely aren't that great.

Post Likes
    Small shops have big accounts. Just all in the attitude.
    Hello German 8'er, how ya been doing?
    R2B4BTU

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by supertek65 View Post
    bragger

I also remember the days when I knew the name of every person employed at this company. All 20 of them.

It is a testament to the quality of the technicians and the organization that the company has grown as large as it has in the past 15 years.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by otto View Post
    Small shops have big accounts. Just all in the attitude.
    Hello German 8'er, how ya been doing?
    doing good otto, thanks for asking. staying busy, as I see you are as well. gotta love service. something always breakin' down that needs a fixin'.
    Figman

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by vmc1161 View Post
    I'm from a small shop and I think I'm better then you too ...

Op. do not mind this createn he is the master of jumpered saftey controls, duct tape and could not read a t&p chart to save his life. Geez some people have nerve
    i belong to peta ... people eating tasty animals. all my opinions are just mine.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jpb2 View Post
    Op. do not mind this createn he is the master of jumpered saftey controls, duct tape and could not read a t&p chart to save his life. Geez some people have nerve

Nice way to talk about the guy who pushed ... ooops ... I mean pulled you out of that bush ...

You must be from a gigantic company, huge even ...

"Nothing else can poison our culture, corrupt our society or ruin the character of our people like unearned money or unearned opportunity." -- James R. Cook

"Fooling around with alternating current is just a waste of time. Nobody will use it, ever." Thomas Edison, 1889.

Post Likes
    Have a good weekend sir Charles
    i belong to peta ... people eating tasty animals. all my opinions are just mine.

Post Likes
    The big guys all started small.

Tunnel vision in the rear view mirror.

The one we have here I used to work for. The guys they have now weren't around when the company was the scourge of the town. Jalopy trucks and cash accounts at vendors. If you had a pulse and a driver's license chances are you were hired and sent out.
    Then they went Airtime, er, I mean big time.
    Boy can they swagger.

Post Likes
    At smaller shops you stand out more and so does your work. Larger shops you blend in more and your crappy work can slip by without anyone really noticing. I work for a larger shop.
    Eat a slice of Humble Pie.

Post Likes
    As long as there is enough work to go around, I couldnt care less who is bigger!

Post Likes
    I had a guy from a large factory shop recently call me for a job. He heard through the grapevine that i was looking for a high tonnage guy with some turbocore experience. He called to tell me how good of a chiller mechanic he was, how his company had the most turbocore chillers installed in the area, and that he was looking to be the lead guy. I then asked him about power burners. He quickly informed me that not only did he not work on them, but was not willingto learn. Interview over, my guys work on everything, I dont hire "specialized" guys. I need thme to at least know how something works, so that in the event of me having to send them there to look at a down burner, they dont hide behind the column or say something dumb to a client. His offer to me was that he would work on any water cooled chiller, but nothing else. Thanks, have a nice day, we small shop guys dont work like that.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by flange View Post
    I had a guy from a large factory shop recently call me for a job. He heard through the grapevine that i was looking for a high tonnage guy with some turbocore experience. He called to tell me how good of a chiller mechanic he was, how his company had the most turbocore chillers installed in the area, and that he was looking to be the lead guy. I then asked him about power burners. He quickly informed me that not only did he not work on them, but was not willingto learn. Interview over, my guys work on everything, I dont hire "specialized" guys. I need thme to at least know how something works, so that in the event of me having to send them there to look at a down burner, they dont hide behind the column or say something dumb to a client. His offer to me was that he would work on any water cooled chiller, but nothing else. Thanks, have a nice day, we small shop guys dont work like that.

thats not unusual for large tonnage guys. they are "special"
    IV IV IX

use your head for something other than a hat rack.......Gerry

We have freedom because somebody fought for it.
    We keep it because we are willing to fight for it.
    We lose it because we are not willing to fight for it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerk View Post
    At smaller shops you stand out more and so does your work. Larger shops you blend in more and your crappy work can slip by without anyone really noticing. I work for a larger shop.
    I agree 100% ( I work for a large shop)

Also the coin has two sides,as I go behind some smaller guys and peel their logo stickers off of units as I go behind them......Does the same thing happen to me???I would be a total A--h--- to assume that it does not. Only human,I can only do my best.
    Local 234
    Have Gauge$ Will Travel

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerk View Post
    Glad we got to the bottom of that.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by viceman View Post
    yeah dam it large tonnage guys are special dam it!
    dam it

thhhpeshil
    true knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.

Post Likes

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by viceman View Post
    i work on large tonnage.

and controls, fans, pumps,boilers. never thought i was "special". just trying to feed my family and get to retirement without anymore damaged parts.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by heavymetaldad View Post
    i work on large tonnage.

and controls, fans, pumps,boilers. never thought i was "special". just trying to feed my family and get to retirement without anymore damaged parts.
    amen

Post Likes
    I work for a small mostly commercial company. Less than 10 techs. Yeah you can see the attitude from some of the guys that work for the huge companies. The good ones don't act like that though. And I have seen attitude from small company guys too, especially if they are older than me and thus assume they know more and do better work.

Another interesting aspect is that in the current economy, with a lot of large manufacturers and plants shutting down, some of these huge HVAC companies that specialized in industrial stuff are having to do more commercial and light commercial work. Funny how they talked down to smaller companies because they worked on bigger and better things and now here they are on the roof next to us.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in