Thread: Is it too small

Is it too small

I had a new high efficiency heat pump put in about 2 years ago. The problem I have had from day 1 is that it does not really heat the house. It runs for hours and hours and never heats the house. We have 2200 sf house and the unit installed was a 3 ton york 15 seer. After going back and fourth with the contracter he suggested replacing the unit with a single stage heat pump.

My question is this

1. Is it possible that the unit I have is too small for the house?

2. How would I benefit from going to a single stage heat pump?

Is it possible this guy is selling me a bill of goods? He claims to have done a full calculation of the heating and cooling of the house and it is correct yet he is willing to change out the whole unit does that make any sense?

Not enough info in your post...

Would need to have complete info on both heat pump, furnace and control system just to name a few.

Yes, need more info.

When its not heating right. Is this at very cold temps only.
    Or it doesn't maintain temp even when its 40F outside.
    What size strip heat package does it have.

What size was your old heat pump, and did it maintain temp.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

It stops heating once it gets colder I would say in the mid to low 30's. If not it is comfortable in the house. The unit is a single pack unit. It has 10 kw heat strips. It acts as though when it gets cold it cannot keep up with the demand and it will run at times for 10-12 hours straight. It has already burned out one compressor fortunately under warranty I think if it keeps running as it has it will need another compressor before long.

My old unit was an oversized gas pack the old homeowner/contracter put in that was very inefficient) it was probably a six ton unit just way too big for the house.

That is why I opted for a heatpump. Had one in Vegas and worked great here in east TN it is not working very well at all.

What thermostat do you have.

Could be they have the aux heat locked out.
    Or, an incorrect aux heat staging set up.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Honeywell. standard digital thermostat the contractor installed with the new unit.

It has already burned out one compressor fortunately under warranty I think if it keeps running as it has it will need another compressor before long.
    Chances are that something outside of long runtime killed the compressor - if that problem is not corrected, it will fail again.
    General public's attitude towards our energy predicament: "I reject the reality of finite resource depletion and substitute it with my own; energy is infinite, we just need an alternative storage medium to run the cars on. The economy can grow indefinitely - we just need to "green" everything! Technology is energy! Peak what?"

I would have a heat loss done and check the duct work. My house is 2500 sq ft and I have a 3 ton heat pump and other than when it is in single digits then it does not shut off just the electric back-up goes on and off. I have one bank of electric backup disconnected as after doing the heat loss I did not need it.
    For more info on heat loss see FAQ at this link
    http://www.comfort-calc.net/faq.html

The compressor failure is a red flag to me. Compressors prefer long run times to frequent start-stops. It's not unusual for a heat pup to run almost 24/7 in colder weather.

I'm wondering if there is a installation problem that's also affecting the heat output.

I know of no advantage to going with a single stage heatpump over a two stage one. The two stage unit should improve comfort and save you money. Thus I tend to agree with motoguy128 and beenthere.