Question carrier Infinity vs performance

Received an estimate for a carrier Infinity and performance heat pump and air handler:

Carrier Performance: 25HPA536 carrier puron heat pump
    FV4BNF005 Carrier Fan Coil
    KFCEH0901n10 10kw heater package
    Programmable thermostat

Carrier Infinity- 24HNG36 carrier Infinity Heat Pump
    FE4ANF005 Carrier Fan Coil
    KFCEH0901N10 10Kw Heater Package
    Carrier Infinity Controller

Could you tell if the systems qualify for federal tax credit?
    Which system would you recommend?
    Does the model numbers match for each system?

HPA536/ FV4005 = 8.2HSPF, 16 SEER, 13 EER

HPA536H/ FV4005 = 9 HSPF, 15.5 SEER, 13 EER

25HNA636/ FE005 = 8.8 HSPF, 16.2 SEER, 12.4 EER.

At least according to my last product data. Haven't downloaded 2009's but it should be the same.

Bart's data is accurate. Take a look at the "H" model heat pump as noted above--that one will qualify for the tax credit. Only difference is different physical footprint outside and a little higher dBA (noise) level. I believe it has a different circuit board, but regardless it's enhanced for heating/efficiency.

The 25HPA536H003, FV4BNF005T00 would be a good setup. Infinity you're going to need the 25HNA636A003 and FE4ANB006T00 (tall air handler, almost 60", may be problematic) to get the required ratings, but the Infinity has 2-stage cooling and other capabilities for better comfort control. The 'T00' in the fan coil model number is for a tin-plated coil, which I highly recommend. To be honest I'd be satisfied with either system. The Infinity has the 2-stage cooling advantage and the system as a whole has nice features which you can read about online. For the Performance you'll want a thermidistat from Carrier, which is better for dehumidification (model TP-PRH).

Could you also tell me how dealer would setup balance point on system and how diffcult would be for me to adjust the balance point. What does he have to add to the system to lock out auxiliary electric heat to a certain temperature?

Quote Originally Posted by bartdude View Post
    HPA536/ FV4005 = 8.2HSPF, 16 SEER, 13 EER

HPA536H/ FV4005 = 9 HSPF, 15.5 SEER, 13 EER

25HNA636/ FE005 = 8.8 HSPF, 16.2 SEER, 12.4 EER.

At least according to my last product data. Haven't downloaded 2009's but it should be the same.
    The IRS tax credits for a split system heat pump are 8.5 HSPF, 15 SEER, 12.5 EER. All criteria must be met. 2 of those systems don't qualify.

http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?...tax_credits#c3

Good luck.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    The 25HNA636 would need the FE006 to qualify

The better choice is the 25HNA936 which qualifies with the FE005 air handler.

Quote Originally Posted by bignick View Post
    Could you also tell me how dealer would setup balance point on system and how diffcult would be for me to adjust the balance point. What does he have to add to the system to lock out auxiliary electric heat to a certain temperature?
    Balance point is set according to the utility rates and the COP of the system at different temps. A HP with strip heat would be locked out when the COP of the HP drops below one. (Think Artic circle temps)

A dual fuel system is harder because you have to add the gas cost plus furnace efficiency.

The infinity controller lets you set the parameters you want for lock outs.

How can I verify?

I have a very recently installed Bryant dual fuel system with the Evolution control. How can I verify the balance point my installer selected? This is a high end system..........I want to be sure I am using it to its best potential. Thoughts? I guess I could have him back out but I kind of hate to do that.
    Thanks. Mike L.

Quote Originally Posted by Rooferman View Post
    I have a very recently installed Bryant dual fuel system with the Evolution control. How can I verify the balance point my installer selected? This is a high end system..........I want to be sure I am using it to its best potential. Thoughts? I guess I could have him back out but I kind of hate to do that.
    Thanks. Mike L.
    Do a search in the forums for other posts on this topic. To do the calculation, you need to know your heat loss rate, the efficiency of your heat pump as installed, the efficiency of the furnace, and your gas and eelctric rates. It's a pretty long calculation, but there are some online calculators.

There's a thermal and economic balance points. In some cases, your furnace may be chaper to run below a certain point in others, you run out of heat pump capacity (thermal balance point).

It's not a simple calculation, but a good HVAC company has a spreadsheet to run the calculation. Many unfortuantely probably use a "rule of thumb" for their area.

H model

I am having the following configuration installed as we speak.
    Carrier Performance:
    25HPA548A carrier puron heat pump
    FV4BNB006T Carrier Fan Coil
    10kw heater package
    Programmable thermostat
    FNCCAB Pleted Filter

The 'H' (Larger Coils) model compressor was not available due to its being discontinued, so the rep. upgraded the A/H to 5 Ton which passed the ARI test for the 1,500 Rebate. Looks like I give a little on heating but gain with the larger A/H for cooling in my Florida location.
    Does this configuration sound OK with you guys??

Quote Originally Posted by rwduffer View Post
    I am having the following configuration installed as we speak.
    Carrier Performance:
    25HPA548A carrier puron heat pump
    FV4BNB006T Carrier Fan Coil
    10kw heater package
    Programmable thermostat
    FNCCAB Pleted Filter

The 'H' (Larger Coils) model compressor was not available due to its being discontinued, so the rep. upgraded the A/H to 5 Ton which passed the ARI test for the 1,500 Rebate. Looks like I give a little on heating but gain with the larger A/H for cooling in my Florida location.
    Does this configuration sound OK with you guys??
    ARI# 3258921: 48,000 btu cooling, 15.5 SEER, 13 EER, 47,000 btu heating at 47F, 8.7 HSPF. Those are solid performance numbers for a single stage condenser. That system does indeed qualify for the Federal Tax Rebate for a split-system heat pump (15 SEER, 12.5 EER, 8.5 HSPF).

Good luck.

Thanks Gary,