Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Suggestions on a new system install?

I recently built a 2500sq ft. shop and have finished out 1000sq. ft. that will need to be heated/cooled. While looking at all the different manufactures out there all the information & reviews are overwhelming. I know that all manufactures get good and bad reviews, some more so than others and that some of the poor reviews can be attributed to poor installation.

I felt the need to post here to find out what some of the real world installers have to say. I'm looking for a budget minded system that should give me years of trouble free service with correct installation and properly maintianed. I don't want to go bottom of the barrel but I'm not looking to go crazy either. I will probably stay 13 seer and it will need to be an R410 unit.

I'm located in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area and would also be interested in hearing suggestions on installers. I would like to find someone that's going to shoot me straight and not give me the run around.

Your better off getting what ever brand the installer prefers.

Never try to get a contractor to install a brand he doesn't normally use.

He may not have a good part supply for it. Or good tech support for it.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Your better off getting what ever brand the installer prefers.

Never try to get a contractor to install a brand he doesn't normally use.

He may not have a good part supply for it. Or good tech support for it.
    Ok that's fair but are there ANY brands that I should steer clear of?

Not really.

More like, contractors to stay clear of.

They would be the ones, that tell you they can beat anybodies price.
    Tell you you don't need any fancy blah blah thing on a furnace.
    There low price offer is only till What ever day.
    That tell you how terrible company ABC is.
    Or tell you that brand X is crap.

When a contractor ask you a lot of questions about the building and its use.
    And takes measurements of it.
    He is the one that is interested in giving(Read sale) you the system you need. And provide you with your future needs. He wants to be the guy you call when you finnish the next section. Not just make a quick buck today. And forget about you tomorrow.

Chose your contractor wisely. A good one won't install a brand he has trouble with. Or no support for.
    Contractor locator map

I have yet to find a contractor that's willing/can to do a load calc. out of the last half dozen or so calls. Suggestions?

Check the NCI(National Comfort Institute) website.
    They may have a listing of a company or 2 in your area.
    Contractor locator map

Coleman
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Quote Originally Posted by Atlantic4x4 View Post
    I have yet to find a contractor that's willing/can to do a load calc. out of the last half dozen or so calls. Suggestions?
    Keep calling until you find one.

Maybe offer to loan them your "plans", if you can,saving them the time to measure it.
    Last edited by dash; 03-13-2009 at 07:18 PM.

Let me bring something up here that you personally may have not thought of. Look most all of us are willing to do load calcs, "period", but when you have done numerous load calcs and had the consumer use our load calcs to go with the cheapest company, can you see why some companies have an attitude about "up front" load calcs?

I will give you a "ball park" quote on your job, and when you sign a contract with me, I will do the load calc, and from past experience, sometimes the quote is less and sometimes a little more or sometimes the same. I just thought I would explain this to you, because some folks would lead you to believe the person that does a load calc, is "GOD" this is not true, there are plenty that don't them without a contract that have a clue and tons that do them, that are clueless. Look, when you have been burnt many times, some shy away until a contract is signed,and I don't blame them "would you?" is your time valuable? I have been there done that, good luck.
    Take Care Buddy,
    Mr. Bill
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Buy Mr. Bill a plane ticket from Houston.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    Let me bring something up here that you personally may have not thought of. Look most all of us are willing to do load calcs, "period", but when you have done numerous load calcs and had the consumer use our load calcs to go with the cheapest company, can you see why some companies have an attitude about "up front" load calcs?

I will give you a "ball park" quote on your job, and when you sign a contract with me, I will do the load calc, and from past experience, sometimes the quote is less and sometimes a little more or sometimes the same. I just thought I would explain this to you, because some folks would lead you to believe the person that does a load calc, is "GOD" this is not true, there are plenty that don't them without a contract that have a clue and tons that do them, that are clueless. Look, when you have been burnt many times, some shy away until a contract is signed,and I don't blame them "would you?" is your time valuable? I have been there done that, good luck.
    Take Care Buddy,
    Mr. Bill
    Mr. Bill is a man of good wisdom.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    To the OP;

If the ygive you a copy of the complete load calc.,there's nothing wrong with them doing it after you have signed ,and maybe even made a deposit.

However I think you'll find many are unable or unwilling to do that.

Used to be a some on here that swore they didn't do them because they aren't accurate,based on their own experience(what a crock),did anyone tell you that?

First and foremost thanks for all of the replies. Now to get down to the subject at hand.

I can completely understand not wanting to invest time in a job that your not going to get, who does? But with that said how many cars do you think a cars salesman would sell if he was not willing to go on test drives & refused to explain the options and features to his prospective buyer?

All of that is really besides the point. I'm not asking for a print out of your manual J load calculation, I'm not asking you how the registers/returns are sized, and I'm darn sure not asking anyone to give me ANYTHING for free. What I am asking for is for you to determine what size equipment is needed in a legitimate fashion and give me your quote on equipment "A".

Instead what I'm getting is Mr. Joe Blow walking in and taking a 5 min. look at the job and saying: "I think you need such and such size unit with so many register and returns". I don't know about you but when I make an INVESTMENT in anything whether it be $500 or $5000, I want to be to feel comfortable that you know what your doing because if you don't then it's just more money out of my pocket. I personally look at it this way, if you dont know how to do the load calculation I dont want you on my job. If your to lazy to do the load calculation I damn sure dont want you on my job.

So far I have had 4 different contractors come out and all but one tried to convince me there was no need for a load calculation and that most of the information is a crock of bologna anyway's. All of the contractors recommended either a 2 1/2 or 3 ton unit except for the last one that came out and did a load calc., his load calc. showed a need for 1.77 tons based off a 102 degree outside temperature and a 75 degree indoor temperature.

I can say I was truly impressed with the last guy & will probably be the one I go with. I didn't have to ask him to do a load calculation, he immediatly came in and started taking measurments and asking questions. Hoepfully this will be the guy I go with if we can get together on price.

Btw, the system he speced out for me was a Trane 2 ton system with a variable speed air handler. Any comments/suggestions on this equipment?

Condenser model # 4TTR3024A1000A
    Air handler model # 4TEE3F31A1000A

I'm not set on Trane, this just happened to be the brand they pushed. Sorry for such a long winded reply..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast