MSTP com to FEC controllers with FX60?

MSTP com to FEC controllers with FX60?

We are currently swapping a school district over from mostly NCMs and a few NAEs to a full FX front end. There are a few NAEs that have FEC controllers on them and they seem to be causing us problems.

On the same network are some 3rd party MSTP devices that come up fine with no problems getting the points out of them but we can only see one FEC device and the discover log shows a bunch of duplicate ID messages. Connecting an AAM NBLink and scanning with their software will show all of the devices but all of the FECs have some type of 'does not support segmentation' as their name instead of their real controller name.

So, is there some kind of bacnet settings in the JACE i can change to talk to these or did JCI create some kind of MSTP frankenstein device that only NAEs can talk to?

Thanks for any help,
    -Ken

Quote Originally Posted by MCP View Post
    We are currently swapping a school district over from mostly NCMs and a few NAEs to a full FX front end. There are a few NAEs that have FEC controllers on them and they seem to be causing us problems.

On the same network are some 3rd party MSTP devices that come up fine with no problems getting the points out of them but we can only see one FEC device and the discover log shows a bunch of duplicate ID messages. Connecting an AAM NBLink and scanning with their software will show all of the devices but all of the FECs have some type of 'does not support segmentation' as their name instead of their real controller name.

So, is there some kind of bacnet settings in the JACE i can change to talk to these or did JCI create some kind of MSTP frankenstein device that only NAEs can talk to?

Thanks for any help,
    -Ken

I think you answered your own question. But perhaps you have found the real reason they never worked that well on the NAE. Sorry ?I cant be more specific, but it sounds like they cheated with some JCI shortcut save time better bottomline workaround when setting up the devices...probably a modern day **CS** object kind of thing.

Are you replacing the NAE's and trying to communicate directly with the FEC's?

If so the will likely need to be reloaded. JCI for some reason uses UNICODE character set where most other 3rd Party systems use ASCII. If the FEC is to talk on a 3rd party network there is the option when you go through the hardware setup to change it.

I agree with the UNICODE problem. You can change that to ASCII when you download them. The reason that JCI uses UNICODE is because it is an international standard as opposed to ASCII. If you change the ASCII code then it should start working. If you are just integrating the FX to the NAE you can do the same thing when you expose the site to BACnet.

Getting JCI to come back and do anything is probably not an option with the customer. I guess we may be leaving the NAE there and pulling the points out of it. Thanks for the info.