16 SEER vs. 13 SEER

I live in upstate NY so Heating is cetainly very important... I am replacing a nearly 20 year old carrier weatehr maker with a 95% amana furnace. From spring through fall we like the house on the cold end. Is it worth spending the extra $ to go to a 16 seer unit instead of a 13 seer?

No prices allowed in post.
    Last edited by beenthere; 03-10-2009 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Removed price

No prices are allowed. You may qualify for a tax credit up to $1500... read the other threads on the subject.... the extra spent will pay for itself come tax time along with saving maybe 10% more on heating and cooling bills over the life of the unit.

It's almost a free upgrade courtesy of the feds.

Oops sorry about the $$$ in my original post... Thanks MOTO guy.......

Higher SEER will save you money in the long run, if it is properly sized. A 16 SEER unit that is too large might cost as much or more to operate than a properly sized 13 SEER unit. When you get a load calc done, you can get a cost analysis of the two and see what seems like the better deal. Like Motoguy said, if you get the $1500 back, and save on monthly bills over the life of the system, the 16 SEER would make more sense.

I'm also replacing my furnace/AC in upstate NY.

In my old home (in another state) I had a perfectly sized two stage furnace with variable speed fan. In the winter, it ran often and long - All the air in motion was warm.

We also had a two stage A/C and it was very nice. It was able to keep the house temp "even" whether it was 80 or 95F outside.

We're going to upgrade the existing furnace with a version of what we had and liked.

Your note was about the AC. However, in this climate, I'd focus on the furnace rather than on the AC unit. That's where most of my energy bill is spent.

I don't know anything about the equipment you've mentioned, but, for comfort, you can't beat a properly sized, multistage, variable speed furnace. Perhaps you've already considered it. However, if you haven't, you should.

isnt 14 Seer the standard now or is it still 13?

13 SEER is the Min required today.

Thunderbirl thanks for the input.... I am going with an Amana AMV9 furnace sized at 115,00 btu with a 16 seer variable speed 4 ton a/c unit... Based on the tax rebate it really is almost a wash.. So 16 seer it is...