Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

have this ever happened to you

I would just like some input here, when i started working for this company i started out doing residental installs, well when that work started to slow i was put on the commeral side. the comm side is run by this drunk who hires his friends and don't care for anyone he does not hire. for the past week he has been looking for a reason to fire me. but he hasn't found anything to fire me over. I am not the most experanced worker but im always on time and never call in, that is more then i can say for him. well the other day he gave me a task that he knew that i could not get done in the time that he gave me. so time was up and he freaked and told me he was ging to get his 20 dollar an hour guys down there and finshed the task. well he brought the guys down and all they did was stand there, say some remarks that i did not care for and basicly harrassed me when i was working. i got feed up and grab my tools and left the job. i called the owner of the company and i was told that he was nt happy with the boss but there is not another place for me to go, so i was let go. i just wanted to know if any of you guys have ever been though this before, and i should do about it. the job market is real bad up here as in everwhere. what makes it worst is that i do not have my EPA and don't have the money to get it. I also have a family to support and i am not finding work. i really need to know where to go from here

I wish there was an easy way to put this...sadly, the drunk won and you lost...you gave him exactly what he was looking for and without your EPA cert, the owner had nowhere else to put you.

It sounds like you have something to offer or the owner would have let you go in the first wave of layoffs. I'd be at the door first thing, apology and hat in hand, hoping that you could get your job back. Either way I'd be working on that certification as it would make you a little less expendable.

There hasn't been a day in the last year that I haven't wanted to tell certain folks where to pack it, but every night I tuck my little ones away in a bed under a roof the job provides, thank God for His provision, bite my tongue and keep my eyes on the want ads---there just aren't that many jobs out there right now.
    (The wise men of modern thought) adore a god made of putty or of wax - plastic, effeminate, molluscous, with no masculine faculty about him, and no quality that entitles him to the respect of just and honest men, for a being who cannot be angry at wrongdoing is destitute of one of the essential virtues, and a moral Ruler who is not angry with the wicked, and who refuses to punish crime, is not divine. ---Spurgeon

You screwed up.

Should have swallowed your pride, and kept working.
    You walked off the job site. Worst thing you could have done.

Now, trying to collect unemployment might be out the window also.

Brush up your resume, and cross your fingers, the word didn't get out yet that you walked off the job site.

Go to the job discussion forum. Maybe someone in your area has something posted there.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

A smart man can learn something even from a fool. A fool never learns.

Let's hope you didn't burn the bridge after you crossed it. Good luck.
    R2B4BTU

Thumbs down

So with all the comments above you all are saying this guy should have stayed there being treated like **** and less than a man all for the sake of Doing the right thing and not walking off the job?Please, he will find a better job one that he can be proud of. Way to make him feel like crap...Happy Monday

Quote Originally Posted by tlchvac View Post
    So with all the comments above you all are saying this guy should have stayed there being treated like **** and less than a man all for the sake of Doing the right thing and not walking off the job?Please, he will find a better job one that he can be proud of. Way to make him feel like crap...Happy Monday

The owner, not having any residential work, moved him into commercial to keep him working, and feeding his family.

Instead of quitting. He should have called the owner after work and talked it over with him, instead of Disrespecting the owner, and just walking off the job.

He is the one that only thought about his family after he found out the owner won't take him back. And he can't find another job.
    Contractor locator map

Moved to Job Discussion Forum.

Perhaps an owner, or another tech from his area, will see this, and be able to help him.
    Contractor locator map

Sometimes you have to suck it up until you get the seniority to be able to get more respect and make demands. For the first couple of years you are going to be treated as if you were replaceable with an oily rag. Until you get past that stage and can put it behind you, suck it up. That's the way it is, that's the way it will always be. I'm not saying that it's right, just stating a fact. I hope the OP does find a job to replace the one he walked away from. The owner did him a favor in moving him to an area where he would be able to stay gainfully employed and he should have thought long and hard before walking.
    R2B4BTU

this trade seems to be full of this immature BS.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfstrike View Post
    this trade seems to be full of this immature BS.
    I agree.

He shouldn't have walked off the job, but he shouldn't have been disrespected either.

I've worked (and work) with some people who are just complete ass's, and don't respect anyone... yet the people who suffer working with that kind of person is told "just tough it out, just ignore it, it's just so and so he treats everyone that way". I hate that.

If I walked into the office and punched everyone in the face, and got my buddy to say "oh, that's just Lynn being Lynn" I can assume it wouldn't be viewed the same.

I'm not saying you need to roll out the red carpet for every coworker you have, but treating others like you want to be treated has lost it's way these days.

Sure his situation could have been handled differently, but who knows how it would have ended. I'd say if you couldn't have just bit your lip and ignored them until the end of the day, you should have just excused yourself somewhere private and made a phone call to the owner.

Either way though, it is what it is, keep your head up... for everything bad that happens, something good will come from it.
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."

Until you are qualified you must humble yourself and suck it up, fair days pay for a fair days work, never walk off now they know you are a quitter.

too bad the drunk won - they usually do in most cases - employed drunks are experts at manulplating people and too often they win and regular hard working guys whom do their best every day for the company get the shaft.

good luck
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast