Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Daikin VRV II Compressor Failure

Just curious, we have got a site with 10 Daikin VRV II systems with 3 circuits each.

The system was installed, commissioned and maintained correctly.

Within the last 3 years 8 compressors have failed mechanically and burnt out.

System was installed 3 years ago

Have there been similar problems with these units ????

Any replies PLS

Quote Originally Posted by Sa Ac Tech View Post
    Just curious, we have got a site with 10 Daikin VRV II systems with 3 circuits each.

The system was installed, commissioned and maintained correctly.

Within the last 3 years 8 compressors have failed mechanically and burnt out.

System was installed 3 years ago

Have there been similar problems with these units ????
    We have lost one compressor from the numerous Daikin VRV II's we have put in. It was a bad electircal connection, that was causing a voltage drop. Other than that, no problems. We probably have about 85 of the VRV II's out there.

We have more then 200 outdoors installed since 2003. Didn't have to replace even a single compressor!!

It's probably something on the site. May be the installation was improperly held? Brazing without Nitrogen?

May be there is a problem with the oil return to the compressors. This might be the main reason for mechanical break of the compressor...

There is a reason those motors are burning out as stated before bad electrical connections is a good place to start. This is where recording meters come in handy. If you can monitor and record voltage and current draw this will help give you an indication as to why you are looseing compressors. As far as your mechanical failures it could possibly be do to installation mistakes. Take every possable measurement you possably can on your remaining good units and make sure everything is within the manufatures rateings. I really find it hard to believe that all these failures are due to equipment quality, however possable. I would recommend getting with the manufatures tech. support line and go over everything with them as well to be absolutely certain that everything is installed correctly.

burnt out compressors are caused by numerous things. Lack of return gas temperatures low enough. High Superheat means high discharge temperatures. This can cause oil break down and then begin to wreak havoc. When synthetic oil breaks down, acid is formed. And heat is like the germination of that acid. That goes to work eating at the varnish on the motor windings. All of a sudden, short to ground. Or Open winding.

I would look right away at my discharge temps off compressor.

Daikin VRV

Thanks for all the replies, we are are company with 35 yrs experiance industrial and commercial. Just wondered if these daikin VRV units have failed previously. The service manuals aren'n user friendly aswell. Daikin are trying their best but don't have answers. Thanks again for the replies.

VRVII

We lost three on a twinned system.

WE tracked it down to the fact that the electrical guys turned on the wall mount controllers and that shut the EEV off on all indoor units.
    All of the piping from the BS boxes to the coils were never evacuated.

There was moisture in the system and if caused the windings to burn.
    We did a moisture test and found quite a bit in the system.

We replaced them and cleaned the copper and it is running like a champ.

been selling Daikin for some time now and honestly have not had any compressor failures. Had exactly one problem with a vrv and that was noisy compressor in heat. Turned out they forgot to remove the shipping tie downs at startup

VRV2

Hi SA a/c tech

Are the model numbers for the condensors RXY**MY1 by any chance?
    Daikin have 2 different model numbers in the series.

We also have a problem site and are investigating the matter at the moment

Thanx

I know it's an old thread but we also have serious troubles with hese compressors. Always the VRV one and mostly no oil in the compressor. Installed all around 2006/2007.
    Noi initial moisture in it and all brazed with nitrogen.
    A colleague in France gas replaced 20 compressors in 2009 and a colleague in the UK more than 30.

Hi Daliti

We have a site with 90 compressors installed in total, all these compressors have failed not once but 3 times.
    It is always a oil return problem, the other issues that happens when a compressor blows it blows all the PC boards, one unit the entire electrics set fire to itself.
    On another occation the compressor ran until it blew, the entire condensor was in pieces in the parking lot below.

Daikin's VRVII system the suction accumulator was removed to save on costs this was the model number RXY**MY1.
    What is the model number on your system.

This is a Site in Cape Town South Africa, there are other problems country wide with these machines and sites in Namibia.

Where is your site as we are gathering information on these systems.

Thanking you
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by bazz View Post
    Hi Daliti

We have a site with 90 compressors installed in total, all these compressors have failed not once but 3 times.
    It is always a oil return problem, the other issues that happens when a compressor blows it blows all the PC boards, one unit the entire electrics set fire to itself.
    On another occation the compressor ran until it blew, the entire condensor was in pieces in the parking lot below.

Daikin's VRVII system the suction accumulator was removed to save on costs this was the model number RXY**MY1.
    What is the model number on your system.

This is a Site in Cape Town South Africa, there are other problems country wide with these machines and sites in Namibia.

Where is your site as we are gathering information on these systems.

Thanking you
    Barry
    I have a site with 6 Master/slaves and 4 compressors failed already, so 8 to go :-(
    A colleague of me already has 8 compressors an a site with +/- 30 Master/Slaves.
    Any idea what can be the reason?
    I personally disagree with their specific and unique Daikin oil return system

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast