Bryant 288A Heat Pump or 180A Straight A/C?

Bryant 288A Heat Pump or 180A Straight A/C?

I'm new to the board, no HVAC expert, just a consumer trying to make the best choice to replace my old A/C system. I have a local HVAC company that treats me well and does good work. They installed my oil furnace about 3 years ago and have serviced our HVAC equipment for the last 8 years or so.
    I had them come down and give me an estimate to replace my system. I have narrowed the choice down to 2 Bryant models, now trying to decide between Heat Pump and straight A/C.
    Either the Bryant 288a Heat Pump or the Bryant 180A A/C. We live in Southern Pennsylvania and I have never had a heat pump system before. The 288a is slightly more expensive, but I am leaning towards the heat pump from all that I have read thus far. I just want to get some warm fuzzies that this is a sold system that does not have any issues as long as it is sized and installed properly. Any advice would be welcome. Thanks.

The heatpump will pay for itself in money saved on utility bills. Gas backup is the way to go.

Since we just replaced our oil furance a few years ago, switching to Gas will not be happening. We also do not have a hot water heater, our hot water is on demand from our oil furnace. We currently use about 1,000 gallons of oil per year and have a 1,000 gallon buried tank. So if I go with the heat pump and use my oil furnace for heat backup, does that still make sense? The main goal was to replace our A/C system with a newer more efficient system, but if I can save money on heating in the winter months by spending a few extra bucks on the Bryant 288A, I'll do it.

Yes, you can save a lot of money on your heating bill by getting a heat pump.

What you have is called a boiler.
    A boilers heat water, or makes steam to heat your house.
    A furnace heats air and then circulates it to your house.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Thanks for the replies. How do you guys feel about the Bryant Heat Pump system - 288A? Any experience with that model and whether there are any known quality issues?

My comment was meant to keep you away from electric backup. It will save you money. Here is a simple explanation:
    1: Even though electric heat operates at near 100% efficiency, electricity is too expensive to make this a good option in a cold climate.
    2. Your oil furnace will be a great backup, and you already know how much it costs to use as a primary heat source.
    3. Since a heat pump does not produce heat, it operates at a very low cost. Electric heat uses electricity, oil furnace burns oil; heat pump absorbs heat from outside air. Since most heatpumps produce about 6 to 8 time the BTUs per KW of electricity used when compared to electric resistance heating, you could call it 600-800% more efficient. This translates to less dollars per BTU to heat your home.

Oh, I forgot about your hot water. Guess you'll have the oil burning all the time reguardless.