Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I feel the draft after the unit has shut down, no fan running. Duct work and insulation were both checked, both in good condition, while trying to diagnose problem when unit would not bring temp to setting. Description of cool draft could be simply air movement, but feels cool, why excessive air movement?

Quote Originally Posted by parsoc View Post
    I feel the draft after the unit has shut down, no fan running. Duct work and insulation were both checked, both in good condition, while trying to diagnose problem when unit would not bring temp to setting. Description of cool draft could be simply air movement, but feels cool, why excessive air movement?
    I'm guessing those were checked out by the company that wired everything up wrong? beenthere's response is probably a good idea... after you check my idea.

Just had another thought - on both new units we had new steam humidifiers installed too -- any correlation here possible? And you're right about who checked out duct work and insulation, same guys who screwed up installation. Now that I'm getting the warmth I anticipated with a new system, I hope I'm not going to have to live with the drafts. A For Sale sign is always an option, I guess.

If your system is set up to humidify weather or not the thermostat is calling for heat.

You could be feeling the cooler air it will blow out during the humidification call.

The blower will run very slow during this call.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

What may feel like a cold draft that is not coming from any place in particular is usually not having the temp up to the necessary comfort level. TURN UP THE THERMOSTAT. If you were used to 70* feeling comfortable on a gas fired system, with an analog thermostat, try 73* or 74* on you heat pump system. If the "draft" disappears, then no problem, if it remains then have someone that knows what they are doing come check for infiltration and blower door.

Just had another thought - on both new units we had new steam humidifiers installed too -- any correlation here possible? And you're right about who checked out duct work and insulation, same guys who screwed up installation. Now that I'm getting the warmth I anticipated with a new system, I hope I'm not going to have to live with the drafts. A For Sale sign is always an option, I guess.
    If your duct work is located in your attic, any leaks in the ducting will allow cooler attic air into the duct during non-run times and that cooler air will drop down out of the ducts into the home. And, depending on the size of the leaks it could have a big impact on the amount of heat you get into the home and the feel of drafts during the off times.

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    If your system is set up to humidify weather or not the thermostat is calling for heat.

You could be feeling the cooler air it will blow out during the humidification call.

The blower will run very slow during this call.
    You just a little quicker on the draw than me today. I'm going to have to watch Josey Wales tonight and practice.

Carrier unit had humidifier set up to kick on fan when humidity needed even if hp wasn't running. Lot's of cool air! We had second installer, York, set humidifier to kick on only if HP is running. We've had HP's for 30 yrs., no drafts, no problems, just old age killed Amana and first York. As last resort will have someone else check ductwork again, have fan speed reduced, find another HVAC. Thanks everyone, all suggestions appreciated.

Carrier unit had humidifier set up to kick on fan when humidity needed even if hp wasn't running. Lot's of cool air! We had second installer, York, set humidifier to kick on only if HP is running. We've had HP's for 30 yrs., no drafts, no problems, just old age killed Amana and first York. As last resort will have someone else check ductwork again, have fan speed reduced, find another HVAC. Thanks everyone, all suggestions appreciated.
    The older thermostat on the older system would have had an adjustable anticipator. It may have overshot the setpoint on heat rise, and the new one doesn't. Good luck.

Next time they are out to check it.
    Ask them to recheck that the humidifier isn't bringing on the fan.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12