Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

R-134A to be phased out?

Just heard Kevin Zugibe of Hudson Technologies (a refrigerant sales firm) say in today's conference call that he thought there was a strong possibility that R-134A would be phased out by the Obama administration as part of his global climate initiative.

Anyone heard of this? Obviously any phase-out would be years into the future. I've been reading about new refrigerant systems that don't require coolants that screw the ozone or trap heat as much as R-134A.

Still, I'm wondering what the likelihood of a R134A phaseout is? Any thoughts?

I have not heard that for the US but I have heard Europe was planing on it.

134a is a very strong Green House gas.
    If you help others then you are a Success

Who knows. It is very plausible with our new administration. I was hopeful for the man, but not I'm becoming afraid. Hope needs to be replaced with Fear. I hope we have done well.
    I like DIY'ers. They pay better to fix.

Synthetic refrigerants were originally produced to replace dangerous and flammable substances - I could understand banning CFCs/HCFCs to prevent ozone depletion, but doing away with HFCs is ****en stupid.
    General public's attitude towards our energy predicament: "I reject the reality of finite resource depletion and substitute it with my own; energy is infinite, we just need an alternative storage medium to run the cars on. The economy can grow indefinitely - we just need to "green" everything! Technology is energy! Peak what?"

The issue with SOME HFC not all but some (like 134a) have VERY high carbon foot print.

I think to not require a 608 or 609. Is a big mistake. They should.

Every DYIer can get a hold of it and, well what more can you say.
    Last edited by fcs; 03-08-2009 at 12:13 PM.
    If you help others then you are a Success

From all the stories I have heard about Obama, you would think he was elected king instead of President. He cannot pass laws himself, that takes Congress. Also, I think some of the scare stories is just from rabble rousers trying to get the Dems out of office. Not all Republicans are like that, but some are. And some radio stations get their ratings up by passing gossip off as the truth.
    Remember, Air Conditioning begins with AIR.

Heck, they uped the pressures using R410, why not go all the way and use nitrogen or CO2 ? ? ?
    Then they wouldn't have ANYTHING to put fear in the populace...

I once heard that amonia was the PERFECT refrigerant, I question that, but it might well be..
    Those who dance, appear insane to those who do not hear the music.
    Those who believe, appear ignorant to those who do not know God.

they should probably phase out all airconditioning

as well as all cars

and all planes

even golf carts, cause when the batteries go bad it's an environmental hazzard

oh ya, phase out cigarrettes

and beer and whiskey

as a matter of fact, let's get the fun police in on this to ban a bunch of fun things

that way we can all work and have no fun

Now that you can get r134 at Sams for $, it is time to ban it and
    replace it with something that costs $ or so.
    Last edited by beenthere; 03-08-2009 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Removed Prices

Quote Originally Posted by Airmechanical View Post

oh ya, phase out cigarrettes

and beer and whiskey
    Now that’s going to far!

i wouldnt doubt it with this admin

Going back to the Hudson Technologies Conference Call, it's looking like Hudson Tech is the only pure R-22 play in the stock market. If you think R-22 prices are going to continue to climb, check them out.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Hudson...-14564506.html

Kevin J. Zugibe, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Hudson Technologies commented, "We are continuing to position ourselves to capitalize on the opportunities that we expect to see with the January 2010 federally mandated phase down in the production of new (virgin) HCFC refrigerants. The EPA has proposed to reduce, effective January 1, 2010, the total amount of HCFCs that can be produced and imported to 80% of the EPA’s estimated and projected demand for 2010. In proposing these reductions, the EPA expects that at least 20% of the demand will be met by reclaimed or recycled refrigerant, which would require a significant increase in reclamation from current levels. As such, reclaimed refrigerant will be essential to make up the supply shortfall and to service the entire spectrum of existing units from small residential A/C units to large tonnage chillers that require HCFCs to function properly. As an industry leader with proven infrastructure and distillation capabilities, we expect to benefit from this industry shift.”

Was in a class the other day, instructor said the big three us refrig companies are jointly working on a long term 134a replacement.

Heard it was banned in cars in euroland already.
    GO DAWGS!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast