Question Installing HVAC Bryant FX4C Bryant 265A

I've recieved a bid to install these two new units in my 1500 sq. ft. condominium. Goal is to reduce heating/air conditioning bill...also interested in low noise levels. Feelings on these units? Should I consider other units instead?

First, what size unit are you considering to install (i.e., what model numbers)? I would not install the FX4C air handler, from the Legacy line, with the 265A heat pump, from the Preferred line. You'd be much better off with the Preferred air handler, which has the variable speed motor, in my opinion. Whether this was your choice or the dealers, for whatever reason, I don't know, but I'd certainly look into this air handler instead (FV4B). Good system if installed and sized properly.

Hey Ryan,

Thanks for your reply. I'm reviewing bids for my mothers condo. The bid I recieved just said Bryant FX4C direct Expansion fan coil ECM. Unfortunatley, I'm not to educated on HVAC systems. However, after researching, I discovered that the Bryant265A heat pump does not qualify for a federal tax credit as it is only 13 SEER. You receive a 30% or up to $1500 credit for a SEER >= 14. Does this make the units with SEER<14 more obsolete?

For your type of system, you need 12.5 EER, 15 SEER, and 8.5 HSPF. Need the size of the unit being replaced to tell you what indoor unit you'd want to use to get the tax credit. Your dealer should know about this. There are two units: 265ANA and 265ANH. The last one helps bring up the efficiency for higher tonnage units to get the rebate. SEER 13 units will still be made--it's a tax credit, not a limitation (that was several years ago with the 13 SEER mandate from 10 SEER). The 265A is a 15 SEER unit by name, and it gets 15+ SEER with many matchups.