Talking to two salesmen today, couple of questions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talking to two salesmen today, couple of questions

I got estimates today for a Carrier system and a Bryant system from local dealers. This is for a split system, 2 ton AC

Overall, I liked the Carrier salesman much better, he went into a lot more detail and seemed a lot more concerned about nailing down the details of the installation. In particular he talked about some issues there would be with venting a 95% furnace given the current furnace location, and explained how he would resolve the issues. The Bryant guy missed this completely and just described it as a very simple install.

There are two things I have questions about:

1) I have a very short run to the outside unit. The Bryant salesman included a new refrigerant line set in his estimate, but the Carrier salesman said the one I have is fine. He said it's a 3/8-3/4 set, more than required for a 2 ton system, and actually as good or better than what they install currently . As it turns out a year or so ago when I replaced an upstairs Trane unit, the Trane guy told me the same thing, said the refrigerant line was very good quality and in good shape.

Would you still replace the refrigerant lines?

2) Can anyone tell if a Bryant 187ANA024 AC unit, a 355CAV042060 furnace and a CNPVP2417 evaporator coil would qualify for the $1500 federal tax credit? This is an Evolution two ton 16 SEER AC unit along with a 95% 60,000 BTU furnace with a SYSTXBBUID01 controller/thermostat.

Quote Originally Posted by steve f View Post

If you are upgrading from an R-22 system to an R-410A system, YES.

2) Can anyone tell if a Bryant 187ANA024 AC unit, a 355CAV042060 furnace and a CNPVP2417 evaporator coil would qualify for the $1500 federal tax credit? This is an Evolution two ton 16 SEER AC unit along with a 95% 60,000 BTU furnace with a SYSTXBBUID01 controller/thermostat.
    I think so, but you will need to verify this with your dealer before making your decision.

Quote Originally Posted by phbsales View Post
    If you are upgrading from an R-22 system to an R-410A system, YES.
    Thanks for the reply. If you don't mind another question, is this due to residual traces of the old R-22 in the lines, or are there other reasons? I do seem to recall one guy said something about R-410 systems being higher pressure than the R-22, just wondering if this is related to that.

It's because of the residual oil from the R-22, not the refrigerant itself. The oils are not compatible. If mixed, it will cause problems with TXV's, among other things.

line set

Always replace the line set. (differant oil types ) they don't mix. for the price of a new system its not worth cleaning the other one. just do the job right the first time and you wont have any probs. As noted by the other post make sure they were both 410 a systems in there quotes.

If they were the right size for the system then I would keep them and flush them, but i know I'll do it right. Since i'm not doing it I would say if the price is negligible then I would replace them
    Global Warming or: None like it hot
    No pleasure, no rapture, no exquisite sin greater... than central air. -Dogma

Quote Originally Posted by TACKERDOWN View Post
    Always replace the line set. (differant oil types ) they don't mix.
    MO and POE do mix well together.
    The problem is, R410A, and MO don't mix well.

You don't need to replace the lines. I prefer to when ever practical.
    But, a flushing of the lines is ok.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

I got estimates today for a Carrier system and a Bryant system from local dealers. This is for a split system, 2 ton AC

Overall, I liked the Carrier salesman much better, he went into a lot more detail and seemed a lot more concerned about nailing down the details of the installation. In particular he talked about some issues there would be with venting a 95% furnace given the current furnace location, and explained how he would resolve the issues. The Bryant guy missed this completely and just described it as a very simple install.

There are two things I have questions about:

1) I have a very short run to the outside unit. The Bryant salesman included a new refrigerant line set in his estimate, but the Carrier salesman said the one I have is fine. He said it's a 3/8-3/4 set, more than required for a 2 ton system, and actually as good or better than what they install currently . As it turns out a year or so ago when I replaced an upstairs Trane unit, the Trane guy told me the same thing, said the refrigerant line was very good quality and in good shape.

The correct lineset size for a 2 ton carrier or bryant is 3/8 and 5/8 it would be best to replace the lineset otherwise there could be problems with it due to oil and due to the short run. the subcooling and the operating pressures may be wrong and could result in an incorrect charge. always best to change the lineset when switching to r410a from r22

As above, best to change lineset if possible but many times it isn't easily done and isn't. Most dealers will tell you they haven't run into issues with reusing and properly flushing. Unfortunately that setup doesn't even come close to meeting the required specs with 11 EER and 14.5 SEER (need 13 EER, 16 SEER--Carrier won't be any better, same equipment). The furnace, however, should qualify if 95% AFUE. You get $1500 total, not per unit, so if the furnace qualifies, you're good. Request the tin-plated copper coil from Carrier--better quality and helps against corrosion--CNPVP2417ATA.

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    MO and POE do mix well together.
    The problem is, R410A, and MO don't mix well.

You don't need to replace the lines. I prefer to when ever practical.
    But, a flushing of the lines is ok.
    What is this MO & POE you refer to?

The furnace is located in a closet on an outside wall in the basement, and the outside units aren't too far away, probably 20 feet in a direct line. But it's not a straight shot since you have to go down and around due to the way the land outside falls. Maybe the guy was just trying to save me some dough by flushing the existing lines, he was sure on the ball otherwise.

I'll also relate this. I just got off the phone about 10 minutes ago with a guy from another company who sold another brand and asked him to come out and give me an estimate.

Here's what I learned from him:

1) He didn't need to see my setup, he could give me a quote over the phone. And he did.

2) I don't need to consider anything over 13 seer in an AC. Anyone with any horse sense wouldn't bother with those fancy high-seer units, and besides they break down a lot (this is pretty much an exact quote). I figured since I live in Atlanta and it gets pretty hot down here I'd ask about a higher efficiency unit, but he didn't even want to talk about one.

3) He said there were three different furnaces that he installed, all 80%, and nothing else. He mentioned that the top one had a more efficient motor (I think ECM is what he was getting at), but said nobody wanted that one, all he ever sold was the middle priced furnace, which was only a very few $ more than the bottom end, and that was what I needed. He never mentioned any of the more efficient furnaces, and knowing by that point that anyone with any horse sense would never ask about anything else, I thanked him for his time and hung up.

I came across this guy on the dealer's list at the manufacturer's website. He was one of the top tier contractors according to the website.

What is this MO & POE you refer to?
    MO - Mineral Oil
    POE - Polyolester Oil

And also, I'd keep searching!

I'll replace your furnace for $39.95, sight unseen!

As I'm sure you've figured, avoid that one.

Quote Originally Posted by bartdude View Post
    I'll replace your furnace for $39.95, sight unseen!

As I'm sure you've figured, avoid that one.
    Hey, you know the rules...No pricing Sounds a little high anyway!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast