Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trane XL15i vs XL16i & Thermostat

I'm planning on getting a Trane XL15i Heat Pump (Model 4TWX5048). For $200 more (after rebate), I can get the XL16i Heat Pump (Model 4TWX6048). Worth it?

I also noticed that some model numbers have a letter at the end. The quote from my installer doesn't. Should I have him be more specific? (I've seen threads saying that a "C" version is better than the "B" version, etc.)

Lastly, the thermostat is listed as Trane TCONT802AS32DA? Any problems with that one? Should I ask for a different (better) one?

I live in SEattle and will have a furnace (95% / variable speed) backup. My propane is getting expensive but electricity is dirt cheap.

Thanks for the time.

Regardless of outdoor unit, you should ask for the Vision Pro IAQ which is a 900 series Trane stat. It will properly stage the gas backup among other things. Also allows for backup heat meaning you can set the changeover to gas lower and save more money.

The 16i gives a bit better SEER though not enough to get any tax credits. HSPF is similar to the 15i. Heating performance is horrible. Heating capacity at the high rating point is around 39,000 BTU vs 50,000 BTU for the 15i. So from that standpoint alone, I wouldn't touch the 16i.

I think the 16i C model is the one with self charging and communicating capability with the XC furnace.

eschroeter

do the four ton XL15i or XL16i HPs qualify for the Fed HVAC Tax Credit? Not according to the AHRI HP Directory. Check Carrier's Performance 15 "H" mdl version.

IMO

I'm going to suck it up and agree with Loonie on this one. The matches I checked were more like 41500 vs. 49000 with a 100BTU furnace with a 5 Ton fan and 5 ton indoor coil. But across the board, the 15i does outperform the 16i in heating mode.

You can get pretty close to the full $1500 tax credit with a 95% furnace. The Visonpro IAQ can still control all 3 stages of auxillary furnace heat plus dehumidification using a reduced fan speed if iwred correctly and you cna control a humidifier and ventilation (HRV or ERV).

I have a XL16i, with my particular set-up it was a closer call, but I might still have been better off with a 2 Ton XL15i, vs. using a 3 Ton XL16i. There's advantages to both. I am however going to add a small additon to my home in the next 5 years, so the 2 stage 3 ton unit may still turn out to be a good decision.

With seattles mild summers, the higher SEER ratings of the 16i won't mean much and you can probably dehumidify almost as well with recuing hte Variable speed fan to dehumidify as the 16i will with a 25-30% reduction in capacity on low speed.

The Trane XL900 however does have a little more control with a communicating XC95 furnace and communicating XL16i, but the performance of the XL15i is probably going to still make the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdunes View Post
    eschroeter

do the four ton XL15i or XL16i HPs qualify for the Fed HVAC Tax Credit? Not according to the AHRI HP Directory. Check Carrier's Performance 15 "H" mdl version.

IMO
    No, I believe at 4 Tons the EER is too low, even on a fan coil. The OP is looking at a XC95.

Are you sure it's the XC95 communicating he's looking at and not the XV95? I would recommend the XL15i before I recommended the XL16i, especially at the 4 & 5 ton sizes.

Thank you for your comments. I'm matching this 4-ton heat pump (and 4-Ton Trane coil) with a Trane XV 95 furnace, so the combination will quality for the tax credit. It seems like you guys are saying that, even with the low marginal upgrade cost ($200), I'm still better to stick with the XL15i instead of the XL16i, especially for heating (which is where the majority of this unit will be used, here in Seattle). And I should go for the 900-series Trane stat. Right?

The 900 series t-stat only works with the communicating system as far as I know, so you'll need the original version, the Honeywell VisionPRO IAQ. A very good and highly recommended t-stat here.

Is the IAQ sold under a Trane model # now?

I just had a 20i installed with the TCON900 stat. It does not need an EIM and only uses 3 wires to furnace board . It has two types of humidity control, one I believe is the standard IAQ control and the second is called Trane droop control. This one will allegedly not overcool more than 1 degree to satisfy dehu setpoint. I'm initially trying 400 cfm/ton for primary blower speed and a dehu speed @ 80% to see how well it works. My furnace will allow a low setting of 270 cfm/ton before any further user-selected reductions at the stat; for example at 270/ton on low stage on a call for dehu I can set the blower speed @ 20% or 54 cfm/ton. With my current settings dehu speed will be 320. I'm told the system has a freeze guard that will prevent the coil from freezing. The stat also has trouble alerts that will show an error code for troubleshooting and an ODT display taken from a probe at the bottom of the condenser service panel. I was surprised to see how big this 2 ton unit is next to my 4 ton 19i. It's about 6 inches taller and just as big circumferentially. So far I've only used heat mode and I'm yet to find the temp not at setpoint.

I stand corrected! I think. My current settings of 400/ton and ISU 182 @ 50% and ISU 387 at 80% equals 160 cfm on a call to dehu. At least this is how I understand it to work. I welcome corrections.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Not that I was aware of. Trane integrated the EIM module with the furnace or fan coil control board. The thermostst wall module is the same, except the program and settings are customized. There's a lot more control over specific fan settings.

So to get the IAQ, in a Trane thermostst, you need to get communicating indoor and units.

OS for a XL15i and XV95, you're better off getting the IAQ.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    BAYVPIAQ

The 900 as you know is what Trane is using with their communicating systems. For the IAQ, no Trane model number that I know of.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast