Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Did you want to stay with the existing ductwork?

Quote Originally Posted by WhoIsThat? View Post
    Did you want to stay with the existing ductwork?
    If the original install was done correctly, the duct might be sized right. Key words, might be. It does happen from time to time. I'm thinking if the original furnace lasted 18 years with basically no repairs, somebody knew what they were doing.

Quote Originally Posted by caincompany View Post
    T8MPN model, works great!!
    Thank you! This is exactly what my local HVAC company recommends as vanilla flavor, it is a work horse. The HVAC Co (Standard HVAC in Omaha, Nebraska) will come to give me a (hopefully) competitive bid next week. After all, the same Co. installed the furnaces in 1991!

To answer the other question, yes, I keep all the metal ductwork original from the house because:
    1. The ductwork works great the last 18 years.
    2. It is impossible to change the ductwork, the house is completely finished.

With the way the economy is going, I may as well have the Co replace the furnaces ---> supporting local economy, these guys need a job to feed their families; how about that!

Quote Originally Posted by caincompany View Post
    T8MPN model, works great!!
    Update,

Thanks again for the advice. The Tempstar DLX 80 series (T8MPN) is a great vanilla product: no frills no thrills and it works well. In fact its electronics is very good: a few different speeds depending on the condition.

The local company (Standard HVAC Inc) did a nice install. So far so good.

I will report on long-term satisfaction etc. later.

PS: My 18-year old (1991) Tempstar furnaces' Heat Exchanger looked good when removed! This is because the filters were changed religiously every 2-3 months.

Also, the old burner technology from 1991 (the old furnace has burners similar to gas grill) is gone. The new Tempstar furnace functions like a torch! The draft inducer motor creates vacuum and draws natural gas inside, so it looks like a torch. Nothing new to you guys pros, but it is amazing that the old-fashioned gas burners are now dinosaur in the furnace industry.

I will go out on a limb and say a york 80% varible speed with a modulating gas valve. super efficient, quiet, and well worth the money.

If you ever have to get something redone this is my choice :P
    Last edited by spymoocow; 03-16-2009 at 12:47 PM. Reason: idiot.
    Thomas aka...spymoocow
    Quote Originally Posted by garya505 View Post
    Ah, sorry I thought that's what he meant. An inch shouldn't make that much difference (at least that's what I always tell my wife).

There is something to be said for simplicity.

The lower efficiency equipment seems to run longer, with less problems than higher efficiency stuff.

IMO, that is due to the increased complexity of the more efficient equipment.

More parts, more to go wrong.

Example. Simple, standing pilot burner vs a 90+ condensing furnace.

One has about 3 things that can go wrong with it. The parts are pretty standardized and most guys have them on their trucks.

The other has dozens of things that can go wrong, from switches to boards to, well, you know.

KISS principle in FULL effect.

Quote Originally Posted by cn View Post
    Thanks,

My Tempstar furnace during the last 18 years of operation, other than annual service by HVAC company, the only thing that was ever changed was the Ignition Module (? spelling) according previous owner's maintenance records!

Part of me wanting to use Tempstar again because this unit runs well for 18 years straight!

So, I do need recommendation re brand (Lennox vs Carrier vs Goodman vs Tempstar) and model number please!
    I've always recomended Tempstar as best bang for your buck. That said, why not use what ever company installed the last furnace?

Quote Originally Posted by james80031 View Post
    I've always recomended Tempstar as best bang for your buck. That said, why not use what ever company installed the last furnace?
    Yep,
    I did exactly that! Standard HVAC Inc (Omaha NE) installed the entire system in 1991 when the house was built.
    I just used the same company again for furnace change-out.
    They have very good people:
    - know what they are doing
    - excellent communication informing me what is going on.
    - cleaned up after their job!
    - went over checklist with me.

Overall, good experience for me with this company.

Quote Originally Posted by cn View Post
    Yep,
    I did exactly that! Standard HVAC Inc (Omaha NE) installed the entire system in 1991 when the house was built.
    I just used the same company again for furnace change-out.
    They have very good people:
    - know what they are doing
    - excellent communication informing me what is going on.
    - cleaned up after their job!
    - went over checklist with me.

Overall, good experience for me with this company.
    That's something we don't hear too often. Glad it worked out for you.

Glad to hear it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12