Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Put a rear camera on your service vehicle

My tall Ford has a serious blind spot behind it, so I installed one.

http://s112.photobucket.com/albums/n...t=03c2ede1.pbr

Quote Originally Posted by HVAC LLC View Post
    My tall Ford has a serious blind spot behind it, so I installed one.

http://s112.photobucket.com/albums/n...t=03c2ede1.pbr
    How much was that, and how dose it do.
    If you help others then you are a Success

I think it was around $300 for the set, you can go to his site and the pricing is there. On my first one, I bought a discounted camera that idd not have sound. When that one quit, he gave me one with sound to replace it.
    It works great.

Wish i had one ever now and then.

On a side note, Sue packs serious heat (.357)

Actually it's the J-frame .38, but I'm thinking it would be quite serious if one were on the business end of it......

I got one of these yesterday. link It was marked down to $250 from 300 at walmart. I havent gotten it hooked up yet, but the gps doesnt seem too bad. It's made by Roadmaster and is apparently a closeout because I cant find it on their site.
    Zach

Cool! It looks nice, let us know how it works for you.
    And, pictures would be great.

Sweet! I've always thought those would be handy to have on a service van. I tend to always back into parking spots simply for the fact that I can see what's in /around it when I drive by it, and makes pulling out a lil less nerve racking.

Going along with a thread about letting employee's install radio's in their vans, I wonder if they'd let a tech install this in their van?
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."

Quote Originally Posted by amickracing View Post
    Sweet! I've always thought those would be handy to have on a service van. I tend to always back into parking spots simply for the fact that I can see what's in /around it when I drive by it, and makes pulling out a lil less nerve racking.

Going along with a thread about letting employee's install radio's in their vans, I wonder if they'd let a tech install this in their van?
    As a businessman I would encourage it, an owner may even get a break on his fleet insurance costs, I bet the bean counters in the insurance business have statistics on backing up into things...and people.
    None of us would want to hurt someone with our vehicles, and same for backing into another vehicle.
    People may be just inattentive, or rude, but sometimes you see them cut off a person backing out.
    Back to the camera, 4x4 freak's idea of the wireless unit would not leave much in the way of install marks, or damage to the van or truck, I don't see what an owner would complain about.
    HVAC LLC Jim

I played with it a little last night. It's a pretty nice setup and the picture is good also. The hot wire for the camera ties into the backup lights (or switch or however you want to control it), when it gets power the gps unit (has to be plugged into power, wont work when running on battery) automatically shows video from the camera. Camera loses power, it goes back to the screen you were on before. The camera is built to be able to use the license plate bolts for mounting. Only modifications needed are for 12v wiring and mounting if you want to mount it elswhere. The camera is wireless, but also has the option to be hard wired if needed.

I'll try to get some pics when I get it mounted.
    Zach

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4freak View Post
    I got one of these yesterday. link It was marked down to $250 from 300 at walmart. I havent gotten it hooked up yet, but the gps doesnt seem too bad. It's made by Roadmaster and is apparently a closeout because I cant find it on their site.
    This thing is a piece of junk. I have been using it for the past few weeks. It's great when it works right. It has a good clear picture, but will sometimes cut out; possibly from interferance. The GPS is very quirky. If it is left turned on while not moving it will often lock up and the unit has to be reset via the reset button, sometimes it will do it while moving. The MPH reading is very slow to react and isnt very accurate. I can barely tap the gas and it will jump up 4 or 5 mph when I have only sped up maybe 1 or 2 at most. A couple times it has shown me in an area that I'm not in. It's like it cant catch up to my location.

I took it with me on a trip last weekend and it locked up about 5 times in 200 miles and had to be reset. I also found out that there are some wireless security cameras that are on the same frequency. It picked up a signal from 3 of them.

It's a decent product with a lot of potential, but it just isnt reliable enough. I could deal with some of the smaller issues, but the constant resetting is unacceptable for me.
    Zach

Nice
    Ability is what you are capable of doing...
    Motivation determines what you do...
    Attitude determines how well you do it.

I backed over an old lady one time

But I think it was her trying to scam my insurance company.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast