Thread: FLORIDA CODES?

FLORIDA CODES?

My boss just heard from someone that they reversed the new laws about no more ahu in attic spaces without fully enclosing space like a mechanical closet. I do not buy it, anyone else know about this?

Did your boss go to the code department and ask there?

Quote Originally Posted by troyorr View Post
    Did your boss go to the code department and ask there?

no, he just heard it, that should be good enough

No requirement in the "Florida Mechanical Code" to have an attic mechanical room for air-handlers. For combustion type equipment, follow manufacturers clearance guidelines.

F.M.C. 2007:

http://www.floridabuilding.org/BCISOld/bc/default.asp

306.3 Appliances in attics. Attics containing appliances requiring access shall be provided with an opening and unobstructed passageway large enough to allow removal of the largest appliance. The passageway shall not be less than 30 inches (762 mm) high and 22 inches (559 mm) wide and not more than 6 feet (1829 mm) in length measured along the centerline of the passageway from the attic access opening to the appliance's service panel. The passageway shall have continuous solid flooring not less than 24 inches (610 mm) wide. A level service space not less than 30 inches (762 mm) deep and 30 inches (762 mm) wide shall be present at the front or service side of the appliance. The clear access opening dimensions shall be a minimum of 20 inches by 30 inches (508 mm by 762 mm), where such dimensions are large enough to allow removal of the largest appliance.

306.3.2 Air handling units. Air handling units shall be allowed in attics if the following conditions are met:
    1. The service panel of the equipment is located within 6 feet of an attic access.
    2. A device is installed to alert the owner or shut the unit down when the condensation drain is not working properly.
    3. The attic access opening is of sufficient size to replace the air handler.
    4. A notice is posted on the electric service panel indicating to the homeowner that the air handler is located in the attic. Said notice shall be in all capitals, in 16 point type, with the title and first paragraph in bold:

NOTICE TO HOMEOWNER

A PART OF YOUR AIR CONDITIONING SYSTEM, THE AIR HANDLER, IS LOCATED IN THE ATTIC. FOR PROPER, EFFICIENT AND ECONOMIC OPERATION OF THE AIR CONDITIONING SYSTEM, YOU MUST ENSURE THAT REGULAR MAINTENANCE IS PERFORMED.
    YOUR AIR CONDITIONING SYSTEM IS EQUIPPED WITH ONE OR BOTH OF THE FOLLOWING: 1) A DEVICE THAT WILL ALERT YOU WHEN THE CONDENSATION DRAIN IS NOT WORKING PROPERLY OR 2) A DEVICE THAT WILL SHUT THE SYSTEM DOWN WHEN THE CONDENSATION DRAIN IS NOT WORKING. TO LIMIT POTENTIAL DAMAGE TO YOUR HOME, AND TO AVOID DISRUPTION OF SERVICE, IT IS RECOMMENDED THAT YOU ENSURE PROPER WORKING ORDER OF THESE DEVICES BEFORE EACH SEASON OF PEAK OPERATION.

my boss, code department...lol...lol
    It was my understanding that the necessity of enclosing it was because of the energy code updates(last few years) where the ahu needed to be out of the heat load of the attic. I thought that is where the need came to stop putting them in open attics. I "heard" that new energy codes went into effect this month which increase total efficiency on the house by like 15%. I'm just learning about how to do things by the book on my own at this point.

I posted the relevant passage and the source code link.

If you install it in the attic you should also have to service it for life. Tell your boss to do it like everyone else in Florida and install it horizontly in the garage

Quote Originally Posted by eddie-boyz1 View Post
    My boss just heard from someone that they reversed the new laws about no more ahu in attic spaces without fully enclosing space like a mechanical closet. I do not buy it, anyone else know about this?
    well in the palm beach area, they are enforcing "rooms" in the attic if you have standard icynene. There is an additive for the icynene to get away from the attic "rooms", but it cost as much as the icynene itself. And as previously mentioned, it's a big negitive hit for units in unconditioned space in the EC.