Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Philly

Philly

Cheese steak...

Pat's or Geno's ???

I just watched the two prepare theirs on tv. They move a lot of sandwiches.
    Only difference I saw was Pat's chopped their meat while Geno just had slices.
    The Cheese Wiz surprised me a little.
    Tracers work both ways.

Smile real steaks

The best cheesteaks are out in the suburbs. Pat's and Geno's are hyped up. The local shops use real provolone cheese. You throw lean chipsteak on a griddle and chop it up using the edge of a large bent spatula. They put onions and sweet Italian roasting peppers on the griddle next to the steak. This imparts flavor into the griddle surface for the next batch. That's why new griddles make lousy steaks. It takes years to develop that seasoning. Once the steak is nearing done, you place an Italian steak roll upside down opened over the onions & peppers and you place slices of provolone over the steak. Using the spatula, you scoop up the steak and lay it in the roll then onions & peppers. Some put them in the other way--onions& peppers first then the steak with the melted cheese on it. Also, the dripping cheese adds flavor to the griddle.
    You can add pickles on top. I have them add fresh mushrooms, too. You can get pizza sauce as well. You can also use chicken instead of chip steak.

Of course, the best steaks can only be found here in Philly.

had them both and with out a doubt genos

Rolls for cheese steaks

Anyone know where to get really good hogie rolls? Philly area or otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by hvacker View Post
    Cheese steak...

Pat's or Geno's ???

I just watched the two prepare theirs on tv. They move a lot of sandwiches.
    Only difference I saw was Pat's chopped their meat while Geno just had slices.
    The Cheese Wiz surprised me a little.

I saw the same show. So I had to try it. I sliced up the beef, onions and mushrooms. And then slapped on the Cheese Wiz. Fantastic.

The serect of any sandwich is the bread. For these Philly's I got some "Half Baked" sandwich rolls from Aldi's. You put them in the oven for 6-8 minute. They are great and really worked well with my Philly attempt.

My wife has a great receipt for a stake sandwich I get it and try to post it.
    If you help others then you are a Success

I'm originally from South Jersey, grew up eating steaks from Genova's in Audubon and from John's in Cherry Hill.

I've been in Chicago for almost 30 years, and started making my own steaks by buying eye round roasts, partially freezing them, then slicing them 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick on a meat slicer. Then I freeze the sliced steaks between pieces of waxed paper.

There's just enough fat on the roasts to make it interesting but not too much to clog an artery.

Before cooking, I partially thaw the sliced steak, then chop it and throw it on the grill, American, 'wid.

The problem of course...no Amoroso's rolls. Nearest thing I've found is the local Jewel (grocery store) has fresh baked brat rolls.

NO cheese wiz, Provalone. Pass the scrapple please.
    Still learning opinions welcome.

I found a place to get scrapple and Lebanon bologna online, shipped here to the Midwest from Lancaster, PA. Got a package of each in the freezer right now.

Quote Originally Posted by fcs View Post
    My wife has a great receipt for a stake sandwich I get it and try to post it.
    We know what receipts look like, if your real good youll get her recipe for us.....

Hope yer havin a great day FCS.
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

I falling behind
    If you help others then you are a Success

[QUOTE=jimklo;2989872]I'm originally from South Jersey, grew up eating steaks from Genova's in Audubon and from John's in Cherry Hill.

Fox Valley area?
    I used to live there 20 years ago. I lived in Woodstock, Crystal Lake, Wauconda.
    I haven't been back but I miss the Veana hot dog places with Italian beef, sausage, and dogs. I worked for Shermans P&H while there.
    Tracers work both ways.

Talking ground hog

"Pass the scrapple please. "

So, you're into ground hog, too?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast