+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Boss sounded mad

Post Likes

Boss sounded mad

Boss called today. He asked me if i had been buying my own tools. I had gotten a P.O. from the office to buy my veto and fluke 116/62 combo pack and then cut them a check. He was given the invoice by the secretary. i told him yea i had bought the set. He seemed relay confused/pissed that i was buying my own tools. Questions like what was wrong with your old meeter, why did you get this one. Do u relay need it? I had bought it myself because i knew he would tell me "we will see how things look next month" or " all u need is a simple meeter" he is very old school and still uses a analog meter. He can not figure out my Bruit manifold.

I think he may have been worried i was getting my own stuff together so i could leave the company, which is FAR from the fact. They are going to reimburse me the money. just am confused why he would be pissed with me buying my own tools

Post Likes
    Try asking him.

Post Likes
    You aren't buying your own tools. The company is. He is within his rights to ask you. As a courtesy you should talk to him before making a purchase. Just because you want a new meter isn't justification to purchase one. On the other hand, if your current meter lacks the functions you need to perform specific tests, resulting in more sales and revenue, then a new meter can be justified. Its all in how you properly approach the man with the checkbook.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by troyorr View Post
    You aren't buying your own tools. The company is. He is within his rights to ask you. As a courtesy you should talk to him before making a purchase. Just because you want a new meter isn't justification to purchase one. On the other hand, if your current meter lacks the functions you need to perform specific tests, resulting in more sales and revenue, then a new meter can be justified. Its all in how you properly approach the man with the checkbook.

in his post he said he was buying them through the company then cutting them a check to reimburse them.

Post Likes
    if the company buy's you tools, but you want an upgrade and bu it yourself, i dont see the problem, I wish my company bought my tools for me. I would love to get a few more tools and have the company pay for it.
    Ride hard on a Harley!!

Post Likes
    I have a similar arrangement with my employer, I just order it and cut a check the next day when I present the invoice...it may help that my manager wouldn't know a Fluke 116/62 combo from a halibut...nice girl, not very tech savvy...

Post Likes
    What confuses me is why he was upset. You bought the tool on company money, then paid the company your money for the tool. Did I get that right?

Is there maybe a tax issue that he has with it?

Maybe he IS worried that you are planning to start your own gig.

I'd try to talk to him.

Then start my own gig.

Only kidding.

Post Likes
    Never know, maybe he wanted you to hold off being he may be looking at what work is ahead. Might be thinking he has to cut your hours or maybe even let you go.

Probably not but I just thought it might be fun to watch you sweat

Post Likes
    My co. used to have a program where you can buy something expensive and have it taken out over a few checks. What ended up happening was guys would run that up sky high just before they quit, and there is some legality about holding the last paycheck back.

Doesnt sound like that was his concern though....he's probably just annoyed because he feels like your wasting your money

I love the Vito. What's the combo pack?
    Guinness for strength

Post Likes
    Could be he just feels "left out of the loop".

Post Likes
    i think i am going to talk to him Monday why he seemed upset..and then ask for a set of Digi-cools. LOL He is just now thinking a inspection scope may be something we should look into. He trust analog so much that anything digital is from another world. My next thing to get is a digital manometer, not shur how i am going to explain why i should get a new one wile my analog one works so well?

Post Likes
    Tell him that while he's fumbling with a PT chart you'll be reading superheat, sending unit pictures from your cell phone to your IPOD's zip drive via bluetooth, while rockin out to the new kayne west in your bluetooth earpiece during an IM session with your wife on your blackberry. That'll convince him
    Guinness for strength

Post Likes
    Sorry, missed the part about cutting them a check. Still recommend talking to him before hand, just so he knows.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by troyorr View Post
    Sorry, missed the part about cutting them a check. Still recommend talking to him before hand, just so he knows.
    Why would you run the tools through their acct if you are just going to buy them from the office. I don't understand. I have a hard time believing the wholesaler won't extend the same discount as your boss gets to you and pay cash at the source. Then you bought it with your money and it instantly becomes none of your boses freaking business.

Post Likes
    It`s easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. LOL

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mustardman View Post
    Why would you run the tools through their acct if you are just going to buy them from the office. I don't understand. I have a hard time believing the wholesaler won't extend the same discount as your boss gets to you and pay cash at the source. Then you bought it with your money and it instantly becomes none of your boses freaking business.
    And, you should get the write off too.

Post Likes
    Sounds like he likes you but either doesn't think you need or he doesn't want to pay for "fancy" tools. Being that you already bought them he felt obligated to pay for them but he would rather of not.

I've never been in that position, what happens to the tools if you leave are they yours or his? I'm guessing yours but thats just a guess.

Post Likes
    F m, next time your at the grocery call him and see which brand of ketchup you should buy! you paid for it, geez, I'm guessing he didn't realize you had paid for it.

Post Likes
    We can get the company to pay for tools but like someone else said... they take it out per week. If I want a digital gauge set... (like I have the money) then I will get it and reimburse them! There are tons of tools I still need... and I have been in the biz for 6 yrs now. How many times has your thermometer died? or clamps for your thermometer? I lost one of my SH-66 probes. one of my TPI clamp ons... is broken... I NEED so much!
    LOL (yes... i am feeling needy right about now!)
    Silent Service........ Death From Below!

Somewhere in Kansas, a town found a village idiot!

Post Likes
    Not sure I understand him getting upset.
    Every tech wants good tools, I know I do.
    We still allow our employees to purchase tools through the company
    and take it out of the checks a little each week

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in