Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by troyorr View Post
    Sorry, missed the part about cutting them a check. Still recommend talking to him before hand, just so he knows.
    Why would you run the tools through their acct if you are just going to buy them from the office. I don't understand. I have a hard time believing the wholesaler won't extend the same discount as your boss gets to you and pay cash at the source. Then you bought it with your money and it instantly becomes none of your boses freaking business.

It`s easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. LOL
    UA 100

It takes three people to do anything around here. Two do the work, one explains to the crowd of people who showed up when they seen smoke and flames.

Quote Originally Posted by mustardman View Post
    Why would you run the tools through their acct if you are just going to buy them from the office. I don't understand. I have a hard time believing the wholesaler won't extend the same discount as your boss gets to you and pay cash at the source. Then you bought it with your money and it instantly becomes none of your boses freaking business.
    And, you should get the write off too.

Sounds like he likes you but either doesn't think you need or he doesn't want to pay for "fancy" tools. Being that you already bought them he felt obligated to pay for them but he would rather of not.

I've never been in that position, what happens to the tools if you leave are they yours or his? I'm guessing yours but thats just a guess.

F m, next time your at the grocery call him and see which brand of ketchup you should buy! you paid for it, geez, I'm guessing he didn't realize you had paid for it.

We can get the company to pay for tools but like someone else said... they take it out per week. If I want a digital gauge set... (like I have the money) then I will get it and reimburse them! There are tons of tools I still need... and I have been in the biz for 6 yrs now. How many times has your thermometer died? or clamps for your thermometer? I lost one of my SH-66 probes. one of my TPI clamp ons... is broken... I NEED so much!
    LOL (yes... i am feeling needy right about now!)
    Silent Service........ Death From Below!

Somewhere in Kansas, a town found a village idiot!

Not sure I understand him getting upset.
    Every tech wants good tools, I know I do.
    We still allow our employees to purchase tools through the company
    and take it out of the checks a little each week

Quote Originally Posted by yellowirenut View Post
    ...................................... I had gotten a P.O. from the office to buy my veto and fluke 116/62 combo pack and then cut them a check............................................. ........ They are going to reimburse me the money. just am confused why he would be pissed with me buying my own tools

The way I read this they are paying for the tools in the long run. Therefore they would want to know beforehand.
    "FIGHT CRIME: SHOOT BACK"

My son is the boss now. One fact that I keep trying to point out to him is that you never know what the other guy is thinking. Be it a customer, employee or family member.

All the time he goes around saying, "Well if I tell him that he is going to say...." or "If I give him this price he is going to think that we are........"

When he talks like that I always hit him with "HOW DO YOU KNOW WHAT THEY ARE GOING TO THINK UNLESS YOU ASK THEM"

What I am hearing from yellow nut is " IF I ASK MY BOSS FOR A NEW METER HE IS GOING TO THINK I DON'T NEED ONE!" So he took it upon himself to get a new meter because HE KNOWS what his boss will think.

Bottom line. Present your case and leave some room for your boss's input. You might be pleasantly surprised and he won't be pizzed off.

I am going to ask him during our Monday morning meetings..not like ASK him just bring it up in conversation. The reason i used a P.O. from the office was i could chop up the payment into two months..i also had the veto tool bag and a garbage disposal on there. The secretary knew what was going on and she is the one who issued me the P.O.. She is also his wife, communication is not a priority in the office i guess. From now on i will ask first and if he says no i will save up and buy it with cash.

Asking him is a good idea. Probably should be just you and him though.No need for anyone else to know your dealings there.

we have personal meeting on Mondays..unless he is having "breakfast" we all meet for out safety meeting and to fill out time cards then one at a time go in to talk to him about future work for the week and issues we may have. i am not pissed or anything..just a little confused..mabey i am wrong that he is upset and would just like to pay for my tools as a good employer. Ether way i have the grill warming up for some shrimps.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowirenut View Post
    we have personal meeting on Mondays..unless he is having "breakfast" we all meet for out safety meeting and to fill out time cards then one at a time go in to talk to him about future work for the week and issues we may have. i am not pissed or anything..just a little confused..mabey i am wrong that he is upset and would just like to pay for my tools as a good employer. Ether way i have the grill warming up for some shrimps.
    Sounds like your boss is a decent human being. Shoot straight with him and he will be appreciative. I'll bet on that.

Let me know how the Monday morning, one on one, goes.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast