Need Help!! Dust/Dirt in Duct Fan, Motor burning out

Need Help!! Dust/Dirt in Duct Fan, Motor burning out

I have a duct fan that I attached to the central air line in my bedroom and I think that a lot of dirt and debris got in the fan because its not performing as well as it did before and it is emitting a faint burning smell and the motor is very hot to the touch. I think I probably should have put an air filter in front of it but is there anything that i can do to save this motor? Will it burn away all the dust and then go back to working good or is going to get progressively worse until it stops working? And could this potentially be a fire hazard cause I leave it running while I'm not at home.

Please help me guys...I'm really, really stupid so even stating what may seem obvious to you can be of assistance to me.

When i'm really really stupid on a subject I'll usually pay a really really smart man to make sure its right.
    Global Warming or: None like it hot
    No pleasure, no rapture, no exquisite sin greater... than central air. -Dogma

I wish it were that easy green jumper...unfortunately those really really smart men require more money than I can afford to spend...so i'm looking for suggestions, of course I know that there are no guarantees with internet advice. It's not like you can see the problem and properly diagnose it.

Anyway, I'm thinking maybe if I get one of those dust off things that people use for computers it could atleast help. Or is there another product that is better suited for duct fans?

The quality of the answer is often dependent upon asking the right question.

The duct fan is often the right answer to the wrong question.

The fan isn't the problem, the problem appears to be poor airflow.
    Instead of asking how can I increase the airflow perhaps you need to ask why is the airflow poor.

This can be due to poor duct design, damaged ductwork or some sort of airflow restriction such as a dirty filter, blower wheel or evaporator coil.
    If the coil or wheel is dirty then why.
    Keep looking for why until you get down to the definitive cause.
    Fix that cause and clean up the resulting mess then your problem will go away.

Until then you can keep feeding duct fan motors to the problem and someone will gladly sell them to you.
    I am for doing good to the poor, but...I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. I observed...that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer.
    ― Benjamin Franklin

deleted
    Last edited by allan38; 10-18-2009 at 02:40 AM. Reason: duplicate post
    I am for doing good to the poor, but...I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. I observed...that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer.
    ― Benjamin Franklin