Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replacement RTU

Replacement RTU

I have to replace my rooftop unit. It's a Rheem 115,00 BTU-3 ton, 18 years old. I think I've narrowed it down to either a Bryant or a York. Any comments?

Which Bryant and which York?

York 3.5T D2NZ042D09006 or Bryant 577C. I'm thinking upgrading to the Bryant 577D may not be worth the extra $$$.

One of the problems with gas packs is they tend to chew up heat exchangers. On most, the heat exchanger is after the cooling coil so the cold air blowing over it with humid air inside it rots them out rather quickly. Some mfrs. are getting smart and using stainless steel heat exchangers so you don't have the healthy repair bill to replace every so many years. Now, not real familiar with York but from what I can see, theirs may be the exception and have the coil after the HX. If so, that should mean a very long life for it. beenthere, please correct me if I'm seeing things wrong. The D2NZ-D is also a 2 stage heat unit for more comfort if used with a 2 stage stat.

The 577C is single stage, aluminized steel HX in the cold air. So unless you get a 10 year parts & labor warranty optionally, you may be looking at a healthy repair 9-10 years out. It looks like you get a high efficiency DC fan motor for more electrical efficiency but not variable speed. That's on the 577D.

Thanks for the info. My Bryant guy has now propose the Carrier 48XT. The cost is quite a bit higher but it may be worth it.

I'm curious if there is a reliability/quality difference between Bryant/Carrier and York. I've tried to research the question, but so far with not much luck.

For example, I remember about 20 years ago, there was one manufacturer that produced HXs that cracked after about 12 years and had to be replaced. Naturally, all warranties were over and one was left with the choice of replacing the HX or simply getting a whole new unit. No one knew at the time of original installation that the HX problem would emerge, but the 12 year mark became common knowledge amongst repair guys.

That's the Bryant 677D, dual fuel high end machine. Nice unit and in many climates dual fuel is a great savings. Have to weigh if the up front premium is worth it. Does it qualify for the big tax credit?

Yes it does, and I still have to do the math on whether it is a good deal.

Any opinion on the quality/reliability question?

Anything that complex, especially with the HX issue, I'd want a 10 year parts & labor warranty through the manufacturer or Equiguard.

So far, the Bryant people haven't firmed up their numbers, but York is offering 10 yr compressor, 10 yr HX, 5 yr parts, and the installer is adding on 10 yr parts & labour.

I'm leaning towards York, especially if your point about the placement of the HX and coil in the York are correct.

I haven't installed any of the Affinity gas/electrics. Just the A/Cs and heat pumps.

But, all my submittals for the gas/electrics, show the heat exchanger before the A/C coil.

The blower is under the heat exchanger.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Looked like that to me too. York got smart? Or tired of 9 year old HX warranty claims?

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Looked like that to me too. York got smart? Or tired of 9 year old HX warranty claims?
    Not sure which.

There goes some good income though.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

I would go with the York they make nice package units that hold up well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast