Trane XV80 Operating Question

As many of you know I have a 2 stage Trane XV80 with a XL16i Heat pump controlled by a Visionpro IAQ. The IAQ controls all 4 stages of heat. I normally run the continous fan all the time. When the IAQ calls for W1 or W2, (aux gas heat), the VS fan will initially ramp up for 2-3 seconds then settles back to the 50% speed continuous fan while the furnace completes it's normal ~30 second start-up routine, then the fan ramps up as it should. I think I remember hearing about the Carrier VS furnaces doing this. Is this a "normal" glitch in the control board?

The fan does not briefly ramp up when there is a call for heatings to the heat pump (Y or Y2) while the fan is running. Only the furnace seems to do this.

Is this something I should care about or just a regular glitch in the system?

I've heard on most systems that the blower should be shut completely off during furnace start-up so the HX can get warmed up quicker so less time is spent cold, where condensation can occur. Should the furnace control board be overiding the cont. fan?

I'd like to know how this particular Trane furnace is "supposed" to operate before I contact my installer to tell them I think there's a minor issue.

My furnace does a similar thing when my heat pump calls for defrost. I haven't heard my furnace do that on just a call for Aux Heat. Sounds like the exact same thing, though.

Quote Originally Posted by badtlc View Post
    My furnace does a similar thing when my heat pump calls for defrost. I haven't heard my furnace do that on just a call for Aux Heat. Sounds like the exact same thing, though.

Good to know I'm not completely alone in my observations.

I agree, in defrost, the whole set-up is a little clumsy. Sometimes defrost is completed before the burner even lights. I think the communicating furnace models improve the hand-off a little.

Trane XV 80

Motoguy - you replied to my posts about the noisy PS 80 Tempstar. My contractor came out and tightened all screws on cabinet and heat exchanger and put rubber mounting inside blower brackets to isolate blower and unfortunately the Tempstar still rumbles and make noise.

My HVAC guy can hear the rumble and at this point he's out of ideas to make the Tempstar any quieter so he recommended going with a Trane or Carrier VS model. He recommended I take out the Tempstar and put in Trane XV80.

Couple questions

1) Does Trane xv 80 have a heavy gauge, single piece cabinet? My HVAC guy says the Tempstar PS 80 uses light gauge steel with many parts bolted together - which he claims is partially the source of the noise in my Tempstar system. He thinks Trane has a heavier cabinet than Tempstar or Carrier and will be quieter in terms of sound absorbtion.

2) Do you hear any type of rumbling (not air velocity - blower rumble)through your vents when the Trane VS motor is running at lower velocity?

While every home application is different, do you find Trane XV 80 to be quiet system?

My last furnace was an XV80. Different controls than today's but never did the blower thing you mention. Never noticed it on a recent install but usually don't watch that closely. Now, the inducer on these ramps up for a second then right back down to low. Could that be what you are hearing? Trane 2 stage 80s have always done this.

Quote Originally Posted by onnad View Post
    Motoguy - you replied to my posts about the noisy PS 80 Tempstar. My contractor came out and tightened all screws on cabinet and heat exchanger and put rubber mounting inside blower brackets to isolate blower and unfortunately the Tempstar still rumbles and make noise.

My HVAC guy can hear the rumble and at this point he's out of ideas to make the Tempstar any quieter so he recommended going with a Trane or Carrier VS model. He recommended I take out the Tempstar and put in Trane XV80.

Couple questions

1) Does Trane xv 80 have a heavy gauge, single piece cabinet? My HVAC guy says the Tempstar PS 80 uses light gauge steel with many parts bolted together - which he claims is partially the source of the noise in my Tempstar system. He thinks Trane has a heavier cabinet than Tempstar or Carrier and will be quieter in terms of sound absorbtion.

2) Do you hear any type of rumbling (not air velocity - blower rumble)through your vents when the Trane VS motor is running at lower velocity?

While every home application is different, do you find Trane XV 80 to be quiet system?
    I have a 2 stage Trane XV80 – but no heat pump involved. Installed in November 2002. When the fan is in continuous mode for heating it also ramps up and down for a few seconds while the furnace completes the start up sequence and ignites the burners.
    Doesn’t seem to be any problem with the fan running while the exchanger is heating up.

I can’t compare the cabinet construction with the Tempstar since I’ve never seen one, but I don’t hear any fan sound through the supply or return ducts at any time. Sometimes I hear air noise through the small supply vents in two of my bathrooms when in second stage, but this is because I have these vents partially open—open them all the way and no air sound.

For the most part I don’t hear the system at all unless I am specifically listening for it. Most of the time I know it is on when I see the curtains moving slightly but I can’t tell by any sound the system makes. Your ducts,vents, and install will probably have impact on this.

If I were replacing a system today, I would look at the VX90 or 95. I would like one of these for the efflicency but I cannot do direct venting. No operational problems with my XV80.