Novar Lingo SE Communication Problems

I have a Lingo SE Module with a intermittion comm loss over the facility's network. When pinged it I will got 25% loss, then 30 seconds later a 75% loss, another 30 seconds and a 0% loss. Originaly it looked like to me it was a problem with the network and not the module until I power cycled the module and everything went back to normal. Now a month later it is doing the exact same thing and I am wondering if it could be a hardware problem with the module itself. The big question is would I be able to try and replace the network card on the module without having to buy a whole new Lingo SE? I would like to try the card first if possible.

>try and replace the network card on the module without having to buy a whole new Lingo SE?

I doubt you can, and it would not likely correct your problem. The SE is notorious for communications problems. You could try new firmware and see if that corrects the problem. Likely you will need to replace the panel completely. There was talk on Redmond doing something about replacing them with Lingo XE.

Talk to your dealer / Redmond and demand they fix it, or replace it.

Thanks for the help Orion. I was thinking firmware as well and was trying to find where I could download it. However, another module on the network is having the same communication problem as well. This one is a savvy. A third module another savvy is communicating just fine. I have reset the two troubled modules to a different ip address. All is well for a couple of hours, then back to the same old stuff. The iscope program on the front end computer has been locking up on me. This program is always running because of the event manager transfering trending logs. Would you still be thinking firmware? If so, where would I find it?

I know that they were also having problems with the SDRAM. I think they come with 256MB from the mfg. We replaced a couple of these and our problems went away.

I have no idea what equipment this is, but are you sure the ports are set for static ip. It sounds when you reboot it would hold the ip but another ip could bounce the communication. I'm not a network guy but I have a lot of problems getting my IT department to work with me on stuff like this.

I did recently setup up various trends on the Lingo module. Probably about 30 or so room temp sensors. I have task scheduler on ISCOPE to retrieve these data logs from the Lingo once daily. The scheduler does retrieve these logs succesfully without error but when I try to display the logs ISCOPE it locks up saying "Abnormal Program Termination". I thought about reinstalling ISCOP what do you think?

>I was thinking firmware as well and was trying to find where I could download it.

The TSN support site should have it, you need ESS to download it to the panels.

>All is well for a couple of hours, then back to the same old stuff.

I would make sure that both savvys are at the same firmware version.

Also check that your NCL has enough of pauses if you’re using it.

Troubleshooting these issues can be a major headache. If both savvys are at the same version, I would try and disconnect the SE from the network and see if your problems go away. You could also setup the panels to use Novarnet and not Ethernet, this of course requires a 2 wire comm line between the panels.

Not sure on the transfer logs, never have used them.

Savvy Intermittent Communication

I am having a similar problem. The Savvy will respond to a page request fine for hours, then it just stops responding. I have noticed that once it has a problem serving a page, it will not recover for between 25 to 45 minutes. Something must need to time out before it can recover.

I have written some code that will query the Savvy, report the temp and humidity, and data log it to a PC. At first I thought it was my code but it appears that this problem is happening to others.

The main board has already been replaced twice. If I replace just the SDRAM will I need to reflash the configuration? I am guessing so.

The web server has a DoS protection scheme built-in. If you request pages too quickly, it will shutdown the web server for a while. I'm not sure exactly what will trigger it, or how long it shuts down for. Try polling it less often, or put a larger delay between page requests. None of this is related to the SE & its comm issues.

>If I replace just the SDRAM will I need to reflash the configuration?

Replacing the CF card will require downloading the panel again.

Thanks for clearing that up.

I was requesting data frequently (every 4 seconds) for the lab techs to monitor during their testing and recording the data once per minute to our server. To compound that I was pulling data from 5 or 6 pages in order to tweak the PID controls. I never saw anything in the docs about a DoS feature so it didn't cross my mind but it makes perfect sense of the unit's behavior.

This is an old thread, but I encountered the same problem with our Savvy.

I have two scripts which scrape data from the web interface and log it to a SQL db from which we generate trending graphs and other data analysis. One runs every 15 minutes and the other every 30 seconds. Occasionally the IP of the client running the scripts gets shut out by the Savvy. That client's IP is consistently locked out for just under 8 hours.

Having said that, the DoS block rarely occurs here. Probably on the order of once or twice a year.

Interestingly enough the system does not respond this way to a script using the Novar TCP protocol and talking to the Novar db port.

3600 Chamberlain Lane Suite 148 Louisville, KY 40241
    Do you still need help with the LINGO-SE