Thread: Replacing a very old GE Heat Pump

Post Likes

Replacing a very old GE Heat Pump

My heat pump went out over the weekend. I am in the Cleveland Ohio area. I am backup and running on emergancy heat right now but am now looking for a new unit. My house is all electric but I do have a gas hookup in my house. I would just need to get the meter put back on the house from the gas company. So I guess my first question is do i switch to as from electric?: My electric bills have been relativley low so I was thinking to stay electric but wanted to get the experts opinions.

Also i have been doing a lot of reading online trying to educate myself. I am a diy guy for most everything. I have had several people over to give me estimates. I got a quote on a Carrier performance and a Carrier Infinity for 2 different companies. They ended up being the same price. So i would go with the Infinity because that one is eligibale for the tax credit. I also got a quote for a trane and rheem for the same price as the Inifinity quote but them are both 13 seer systems. Of the three i would be more inclined to go with the Infinity since I would be getting more for my money and the installer is reconized my Carrier as one of their premier dealers. They said there are only 57 in the USA.

I had a independant contractor come over last night to give me a price. He said he would install any system i want. He would sell the equipment to me at his cost and charge me for the install. I would be help him as well. He is also telling me that going over a 13 seer is overkill and isnt work the extra money. He said that once you go above 13 seer that the price jumps to much and it takes too long to recover your money. He also said that all systems are basically the same and use the same internal parts. You are paying for the big names like Trane. He was talking about a luxaire unit.

At this point i am really confused and not sure what to do. I am not sure who to believe and who to trust. I already found out that one of the dealers lied to me about some things.

Can any of your experts help me out some? I am going to continue to read the posts in this forum. There seems to be a lot of good info here.

Thanks,
    Frank

Post Likes
    All cars are the same too. They all have wheels and an engine so why get a Caddy? Just get a Kia, they are all the same.

Actually, some of the better known brands have a good reputation because they produce better equipment. But installation is VERY important. A good unit poorly installed will likely give you nothing but grief.

Having you for his helper seems strange, unless you have training in HVAC. I would keep looking. Seems all he has to offer is low price. Every time I buy something cheap, I wish I had spent more money on something better.

If you are happy with your utility bills and comfort, I would stick with the heat pump. And I would go more efficient than 13 SEER. A more efficient unit will save you money. But you should see how much extra it costs before you decide.
    Remember, Air Conditioning begins with AIR.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Neill View Post

Having you for his helper seems strange, unless you have training in HVAC.
    Why do you say this? I dont have hvac training but have done alot of electrical and consturction type work. He would be doing a majority of the work.

Post Likes
    Have a homeowner help? Wow, that's a new one

Remember the tax credits, potential of utility rebates. We can get people 15 SEER for a 13 SEER or less price on one of our brands!

Just remember, a car may be a car but if a bunch of morons put it together, it will be trouble. Same if a bunch of morons, and there are plenty out there, install your HVAC equipment, it will not work or last like the same equipment properly sized & installed.

Post Likes
    You need to forget that last guy you talked to. First of all, he probably cant sell you any system you want. Second, as a contractor I could say I am selling it to you for cost and not be, plus why bother when cost + labor = final bill, just like all of those other guys. Third, and this ties into second, you have to go alot higher than 13 SEER for the cost of the unit to jump up to make it not worth it. If you are only gonna be there for the next 6mos then by all means put in a 13 SEER. If you are gonna be there for a year or two put in a 14 SEER (Thats usually how long it takes my customers to recoup the minimal added cost and I stress minimal,) I dont know if you are an investing man, but that is like a 50% non-compounded return at two years. If you are gonna live in that house for awhile, I would say go about a 15 and get the tax credit.

Every single unit is going to work the same, but that does not make them created equal. Some of them just break more often and have alot lower life expectancy. I sell just about all of them, and I would say go with a Carrier/Bryant/Comfortmaker. I happen to agree with the guy about Trane.

Back to your original question. I would go duel-fuel, gas and heat pump. That way, when it gets below about 30 you can kick on the gas. Best of both worlds

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Remember the tax credits, potential of utility rebates. We can get people 15 SEER for a 13 SEER or less price on one of our brands!
    What brand is that by the way.

Post Likes
    What do you think about a luxaire unit.

Post Likes
    Tappan

Their FT4BE pump which is reasonably priced gets 15 with most ECM indoor units and standard TXV coils. Indoor units are affordably priced, probably not as well thought out as some but they are making changes, 1 due to my complaint!

Post Likes
    Luxaire is junk. There is a reason it is cheaper. Luxaire is owned by York who also owns coleman (which may single handedly be the worst) and I believe they are pretty much the same.

If you are leaning more towards cost, then have these guys quote you Comfortmaker entry level stuff. It may be a little more, but should be pretty close. And if after that you still are thinking about Luxaire I would suggest having them quote you the rest of the bottom of the line models like Goodman, Payne, Rheem/Ruud has one (used to be called wheatherking, but now I think it is just called their builder grade)

Im a big fan of shade tree car mechanics or carpenters or plumbers, but I have never actually had one offer to let me help. I would think there would be a liability issue there. What if you get hurt doing this? I've been doing this my whole life and I still occasionally get cut or burned or shocked, not to mention a new employee who does it on the first job like clock work. Why does he not have someone helping him? Is he licensed? Ive run into situations where someone did not pull a permit and when the homeowner goes to sell he has to find a contractor who will then pull the permit and get it inspected to meet code(which most wont do because who wants to put their name on someone else's job?)

What did the other dealer lie to you about anyway?

Post Likes
    Sorry guys......didnt see the luxaire add there in the corner instead of the coleman

What I meant to say is.....

They are all the same, just need to find the best contractor

Post Likes
    I asked to be able to help because I love to lean and be involved. I asked and he was fine with it. I will do things like run the new copper line, replace and move the electrical box, and get rid of the older equipment. I will also pull the permit and have the city inspect it when the job is done. I will list the contractor when i pull the permit as myself.

Post Likes
    well it sounds like you have it all figured out

good luck

Post Likes
    Tell your hack, you want a Bryant Evolution Hybrid Heat System with the Evolution Controller!
    They are sweet! oh he probably doesn't know how to hook it up because it is over 13 SEER.

Another idea is just replace your compressor and keep the GE running! heck find a old used system being scraped and use the compressor out of that one so you won't even have to buy it.

Now that will save some cash! Will it work? ah who cares you'll have fun! and that is the main thing. Having fun!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in