Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Since its most likely shutting down on high limit.
    Remind him, that a lower BTU unit will save him money on the heating bill.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by 73Stingray View Post
    Awesome post...Every rookie (like me) should read this and have absolutely No Hesitation in putting an infraction notice on jobs like that...I am just waiting for the day when i am faced with this type of thing...It's great to know that there is so much support out there when it comes to enforcement...Thanks
    Depending where you live.
    You don't have the enforcement support you might think.

In some areas/states, you have no legal right to disable a furnace. And can be sued for doing that.

Someone will say better to risk that then leave it functional, and risk fire or death.

Lose your job and not be able to get another one because you caused pipes to freeze and break.
    You might think differently.

Check your companies policy on bad heat exchangers.
    Check and learn your local codes before taking action!
    Contractor locator map

I'll disable the furnace so that it will not run. Just because he signed something and you red tagged it doesn't mean sh^t. All he has to do is deny he signed it and you didn't tell him squat. It's your word against his. He can throw the red tag away. Then what? There is a chance you could be brought up on criminal charges if something happens to him or his family. Maybe he's one of those guys looking for somebody to sue? You never know.
    I like DIY'ers. They pay better to fix.

Twilli says unless your code gives you authority do not disable the furnace. If your wife takes her car in too have the brakes checked and the mechanic says the brakes aren't safe, should he disable the car?

Red Tag it.

Actually you shouldn't try to become adversarial with the customer, you should try to smoke out the reason they won't/can't buy. Become empathetic, not sympathetic and sell the job
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Just an observation from a homeowner, but if there is a legal question, why not red tag it and take a digital photo with an easily readible date on the tag? At least there would be some proff and eliminate the "he said/he said stuff that could follow.
    "Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace through our Lord Jesus Christ.." (Romans 5:1)

Ever hear of photo shop.

Digital photos won't hold up in court. Too easy for anybody to manipulate/alter them.
    Contractor locator map

I've heard of it, BT. Was just a suggestion. But if you have the original image on a card, you can't Photoshop it while it's in the camera or on the card, but only when you dump a copy of the image onto the computer. Save the card it and file it away. Attorneys ask for originals to prove whether or not something has been altered.

If you have the original with the time and date stamp, I would think you'd have something to use in a court case. The prosecution would need to prove it was altered, not you if it went to court. Would certainly be better than nothing.

Just my observation.
    "Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace through our Lord Jesus Christ.." (Romans 5:1)

I can download that image. Alter it, and then upload it back to the card.

No way to prove if I did or not.
    Contractor locator map

Ok. I have never done that. Thanks for the tip.

What about good old fashioned color print film? You can't photoshop negatives. I know color photos wth backing negatives are admissible in court. At least they used to be 25 years ago when I was a photojournalist and had my stuff used by the cops in various court proceedings.

Film, and prints are another story.

A signature on your invoice with the invoice containing the write up that the furnace is unsafe, and you left the unit turned off, is all you really need.
    Contractor locator map

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12