Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Some people does not care for their lives nor family

Yesterday had a guy call me up said he has a 10 year old Goodman 90% furnace that is not working. His stat has no display or nothing told him if it is power stealing then he is losing 24V somewhere. Get there today and turned on switch furnace fired off no problem. THEN the blower kicks in and one of the cell starting blowing the flame backwards causing major flame roll out in that area even rolling out of the burner box and no roll out switch tripped. Bottom line was Heat exchanger had huge hole around one of the rings. I red tagged furnaced wrote it up as danger waiting to happen had customer sign gave him his copy and before I left he told me you know once you walk out the door I am going to turn it back on. Told him do what he wants but if something should happen you just signed where I red tagged and I am no longer responsible. Why would someone put not only his but his family lives in danger like that? Makes no sense. And no he has no CO detectors in house told him it is now a law here to have them like smoke detectors. I posted this here so ALL can see especially visitors to this site. If furnace is red tagged their is a reason.

I would call your local fire department,police,gas company.building department. thay will shut it down even the gas to house.Thay can get him on indangering his family.I have done it in past hate to do it. I look it at that I save the life of his family.Its not to late to do it NOW.You will feel better when you open the papper and not see it on the headlines.You know someone saw your truck there and that is what thay will tell the press when thay start to ask why the house burnt down or someone getts hurt. Good luck and keep us on any update.

I think it would have been worth a call to the gas company or Fire Department with no CO detector.

I may just do that sounds like a good idea. To top all off which I forgot to mention before he was talking about going in there and plugging the hole with JB weld Cutting out the back of furnace to gain access then get some sheet metal to cover it back up. The more I think about it I don't think I want to install a furnace for someone like that. But money is money and in these times every penny counts. That is probably what he is thinking also but lives is worth all the money in the world. I may give him a call later and tell him I am still waiting for an answer from Goodman on the warranty part and just see if he is using furnace.

I'd stress that he is a danger to the community, to the nearby houses, to the firemen that are obligated to come if there is a fire, etc., etc..

We're all instructed when working with gas to perform due diligence. If we see something that's not safe we have to fix it or tag it. We're told that if we shut off the gas, red tag it and the customer signs off on it we're not liable after that.
    Some customers will thank you for potentially saving their lives. Some will think you're trying to make more money off them and some might think you're exaggerating the danger. No matter what they think the majority are not going to turn the gas back on, but what happens with the small percentage that do. Well, the house might burn down. Maybe somebody dies from CO. But we did our due diligence. We shut off the gas and explained the danger to the customer. If they turn the gas back on and something happens the tech and company will probably have to go through hell with court appearances and insurance companies. At the end of the day though, we know we did our job and thats all we can do.
    In mrlighturfire's situation I would go beyond my due diligence because the guy said he was going to turn the gas back on. I would call the gas company, police and TSSA (for those up here).
    It's stressful enough working on gas. Don't make youself toss and turn all night hoping this jerk doesn't kill his family.

Get out the Sharpie!

If I have a customer like that, when I'm 100% it has a cracked HE I usually pull a wire or two or something like that. I don't hesitate either to get the sharpie out and write on the furnace bad HE. Possibly for the next tech they may try to trick to fix their furnace. I'd rather have a lawsuit from shutting it down then the other possibilities!

if someone dies in that house the lawyers are still going to come after you, the manufacturers and anyone else with supposed deep pockets. hopefully you've called the gas company already. our policy is to disconnect and cap the gas line at the union.

The lawyers aren't going to care if you had them sign your paper or not. Just like you, they see money as money and the more they get for their client the more they get.

Have the people from the gas company, fire department and code inforcement on speed dial and don't hesitate to call them.

When the smoke settles you will still be seen as the expert that should've known better.
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

Awesome post...Every rookie (like me) should read this and have absolutely No Hesitation in putting an infraction notice on jobs like that...I am just waiting for the day when i am faced with this type of thing...It's great to know that there is so much support out there when it comes to enforcement...Thanks

Update

Well as of now it doesn't appear that he is using his furnace. I drove by there today and seen his chimney was putting out smoke so he is using his wood burner. His 92% furnace is vented from side wall from basement. I am going to call him today cause he wants prices of a new furnace or a labor price to replace warranty heat exchanger. I will post something on the technical side later about secondary. No I haven't called any authorities yet I will determine that after our conversation later today. Thanks for all your replies hopefully it won't have to go as far as to calling authorities but if lets on any indication he has or will be using it then I will.

Quote Originally Posted by mrlighturfire View Post
    No I haven't called any authorities yet I will determine that after our conversation later today.
    In effect, you will be whistleblowing. I hope he doesn't take revenge on you. Whistleblowing is the reason I have time to write on this forum and work out five days a week at the gym, if you get my drift. . .

Speakinawhich, get photos. Most people cannot "spin" a photo. If other contractors have warned him, that's even better; it makes him a scofflaw.

Yea kinda slow here today also this in between season stuff really stinks. I talked to the guys wife today and she said they haven't ran the furnace at all, not sure to believe her or not even though they are religeous I know I never spelled that right . Anyways told her the situation on warranty and labor of the HX but never promised that this won't happen again in another 10 years. Furnace is oversized. The part the furnace heats is maybe 25X30 with 2 bedrooms up and 2 rooms down in basement that it heats and they have 92% Goodman 120,000 btu input. If I look any harder I would probably find more but the cell that was blowing flame back out when blower came on was enough for me. He is suppose to get in touch with me tonight and he still wants to go around same size he has now. I will try to sale him 2 stage if I can't talk him into downsizing that way maybe it will never hit 2nd stage only 1st and won't be going at full capacity. Not gonna put any of my labor warranty on this one usually I supply 1 year of labor on installs. Or maybe pass it on to somebody else which I hate to do that. If I do job I am not gonna promise nothing to him since this is oversized and he won't down grade btu.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast