Pop goes the xformer the xformer goes pop

Just got back from a pretty crappy call. Customer called said they have no heat. They have a Bryant Evo system that I installed about 18 months ago. The system consists of a 288a outdoor unit FE4AN003000 air handler with 9KW backup and of course an Evo controller.

When I got there I noticed the controller was blank so I check the transformer, its dead. I change out the transformer and fire the system back up. As soon as the outdoor unit kicks on the transformer fries right before my eyes. I disconnect the outdoor unit install transformer #2 start the system up and put it in emergency for the night. Tomorrow a.m. I'm going back for round 2. Anyone want to take a stab at the tree I should be barking up? Thanks Guys.

Quote Originally Posted by contrades View Post
    Just got back from a pretty crappy call. Customer called said they have no heat. They have a Bryant Evo system that I installed about 18 months ago. The system consists of a 288a outdoor unit FE4AN003000 air handler with 9KW backup and of course an Evo controller.

When I got there I noticed the controller was blank so I check the transformer, its dead. I change out the transformer and fire the system back up. As soon as the outdoor unit kicks on the transformer fries right before my eyes. I disconnect the outdoor unit install transformer #2 start the system up and put it in emergency for the night. Tomorrow a.m. I'm going back for round 2. Anyone want to take a stab at the tree I should be barking up? Thanks Guys.
    tumadre totonko smadras el eiate.............translates-nahhhhh
    The government works for me. I do not answer to them, they answer to me.

we need a few more sheep dogs to keep barking at the wolves,and the stupid sheep

A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

if you do this for a living get your post count up and apply for pro
    control problems can be frustrating......stay with it
    The government works for me. I do not answer to them, they answer to me.

we need a few more sheep dogs to keep barking at the wolves,and the stupid sheep

A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

First i would put an inline fuse or 5A breaker inline with the 24v hot wire to save transformers. Sounds like a low voltage short, try checking continunity on outdoor t-stat wires

Gets too much into DIY in an open forum. Like HVAC2B said just make a few more posts and get pro status.

Scooter nailed it. Thats where you start..

Quote Originally Posted by chivosurfs View Post
    Scooter nailed it. Thats where you start..
    james80031 nailed it.

Sorry, this is not a DIY site. So we are not allowed to give out DIY advise.
    Please read Site Rules Thank you.

contrades, Any advise given in an open forum can be used by DIYers. Since this in not a DIY site, we can't help you in the open forums.
    Get your post count up to 15, and apply for pro membership. Then you can ask questions in the pro tech forum, and get better answers to this, and other questions you may have.

Thread closed.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?