mini split HP/concealed AH with backup strip heat?

mini split HP/concealed AH with backup strip heat?

does anyone make a mini split HP with backup strip heat. this is a concealed AH that will have flex duct runs. its for new construction office/garage approx. 900sq. ft. with garage space that will be heated with a reznor unit.

Quote Originally Posted by badboyheel View Post
    does anyone make a mini split HP with backup strip heat. this is a concealed AH that will have flex duct runs. its for new construction office/garage approx. 900sq. ft. with garage space that will be heated with a reznor unit.
    I seem to remember seeing some that did have the option of installing electric heat. While I think the option was only on wall/ceiling mount units and not ducted air handlers, you may want to check Mitsubishi and Sanyo, others such as Fujitsu may have it too. But, the general recommendation is to size the unit so that supplemental heat is not necessary. Of course, if you want back up heat in the case of a unit failure, then there isn't much else to use other than electric.

One way of doing it is to have custom duct mounted strip heat kits made up. Warren Technology at www.warrenhvac.com is one company that makes them. Their kits have air flow sensors to not let the coil energize unless there is sufficient air flow. You can also wire it through the air handler to pick up the fan on signal. Use a separate t-stat set 2* lower that the mini-split setting if the mini-split controller does not have the ability to control the electric heat.

900 sq feet is a pretty sizeable space. If you're already spending the money for ductwork, why not just install a 1.5 Ton (or whatever size you need) conventional air handler. Most have better effeciency ratings than a mini split. I'm not seeing the advantage of a mini-spilt there. I thought mini splits were mainly used when you didn't want to use ductwork, or didn't have room for the air handler. but if you have room for ductwork, I'd have to think there's room for a conventional fan coil.

Maybe the mini splits are still a lot cheaper than conventional systems. Just my $0.02.

Quote Originally Posted by motoguy128 View Post
    900 sq feet is a pretty sizeable space. If you're already spending the money for ductwork, why not just install a 1.5 Ton (or whatever size you need) conventional air handler. Most have better effeciency ratings than a mini split. I'm not seeing the advantage of a mini-spilt there. I thought mini splits were mainly used when you didn't want to use ductwork, or didn't have room for the air handler. but if you have room for ductwork, I'd have to think there's room for a conventional fan coil.

Maybe the mini splits are still a lot cheaper than conventional systems. Just my $0.02.
    yeah i want to bid it with a conventional AH/HP, but the builders want to mount these on the side of the building. don't ask me why, but that for some reason seems to be their main concern. i don't think it would be wise to mount a conventional HP on the side this building. there's 21 units being built and it just doesn't seem safe to mount hp's on the side of the building. i thought i saw that someone made a hp that was narrow like the mini split, but uses conventional AH, but i can't remember where i saw it. '

I'm not sure of all the manufacturers that make them but Carrier does: http://www.residential.carrier.com/p..._compact.shtml

thanks bro, thats the one i saw

Mitsubishi makes a duct sytle a/h for their mini's.
    Sanyo also makes one with 3 to 4 round take offs on it.
    The hardest thing is to weed out potential pita customers at first meet. You can save $$ sometimes by not making a sale.

Quote Originally Posted by jban View Post
    Mitsubishi makes a duct sytle a/h for their mini's.
    Sanyo also makes one with 3 to 4 round take offs on it.
    Those 3 - 4 takeoffs are just an adapter plate. It can be removed and a plenum attached if need be. Then it would be easy to add a strip heat kit to the plenum and connect the take offs to it. Be careful of the static pressure. Most of those units are not designed for high static so design your ducting accordingly.