Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    hmmmmmmmmmmmm. so if u charge an extra x(hypothetically ofcourse, im not sure off the top of my head what the added cost for 16 seer upgrade is) for 16seer over 14 seer then u can tell the customer he would get that 1500 back at the end of the year. so everyone should want to upgrade.
    Last edited by beenthere; 03-04-2009 at 07:22 AM. Reason: Removed price.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    The way I understand it, it is a tax credit applied toward your 2009 tax liability. Let's say after all is said and done, your tax owed is $1600. This $1500 applies to it and you only owe $100.

OR lets say your tax liability is $2500, you had withheld $3000 so you will be getting a $500 refund. This $1500 comes off your tax liability changing it from $2500 to $1000. So with your $3000 withheld, you will be getting a $2000 refund.

Those making less money and say only had $1000 liability would only get that reduced $1000 to $0. You can't have a negative liability.
    I'd like to see someone that has a tax liability <$1500.... that can afford a system that qualifies. You would have to spend at least $x to get the full $1500 credit.... Well... I guess there's always a DIY Goodman install.
    Last edited by beenthere; 03-04-2009 at 07:22 AM. Reason: Removed price.

Quote Originally Posted by motoguy128 View Post
    I'd like to see someone that has a tax liability <$1500.... that can afford a system that qualifies. You would have to spend at least $x to get the full $1500 credit.... Well... I guess there's always a DIY Goodman install.
    yeah, i dont see a $xk 16 seer install happening unless its a 2 ton maybe?
    Last edited by beenthere; 03-04-2009 at 07:23 AM. Reason: Removed prices.

Quote Originally Posted by MYLEVL View Post
    so you are saying instead of being taxed on say $61,500, you would be taxed on $60,000?

Im just trying to see what the actual cost to reward ratio is.

basically, if they spend an extra xk (hypothetically) on 16 seer, how much of that xk would they get back from the government. thats what im trying to figure out. but if it is how you worded it, i guess it all depends on their income level.

No, it's a credit, not a deduction.

IF you pay over $x for a qualifying system, you will get $1500 back. So if a basic system in $x and you pay $x for a qualifying system, you get a $1500 credit.
    Last edited by beenthere; 03-04-2009 at 07:24 AM. Reason: Removed prices.

Comes right off the tax you owe but can't exceed the tax you owe. And this is tax you owe before your withholding. Not many people would have a tax liability less than $1500 and still have money to spend on high end equipment!

Quote Originally Posted by motoguy128 View Post
    No, it's a credit, not a deduction.

yeah, i think we all were a little confused at first. i guess the best way to explain it is if you went down to jackson hewitt or any tax company and they said you were getting $2000 back and then you had them add in this tax credit, they would then show that you would get $3500 back.

Is there a form the home owners have to fill out or do they just keep the receipt/invoice proving they had a new 16SEER system installed?
    Last edited by beenthere; 03-04-2009 at 07:25 AM. Reason: Removed prices.

state of michigan mshda Property Improvement Program

Thought i would post some information on the state of michigan loan programs that i noticed they have. Just thought i would post for people living in michigan and looking for a Property Improvement Program. Looks to me that there a lot of things that are eligible improvements, including hvac.

http://www.michigan.gov/mshda/0,1607...7374--,00.html
    If you can not do it right, Why even do it at all?

Post another install price (hypothetical or not) and the thread will be CLOSED.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

There are some really good "bang for your buck" 16 SEER, 13 EER air conditioner with 95% furnace systems out there that will qualify for the 30% tax credit. It makes selling a 16 SEER in Minnesota a LOT easier.
    White Bear Township, Minnesota
    www.summitheating.com

Quote Originally Posted by MYLEVL View Post
    yeah, i think we all were a little confused at first. i guess the best way to explain it is if you went down to jackson hewitt or any tax company and they said you were getting $2000 back and then you had them add in this tax credit, they would then show that you would get $3500 back.

Is there a form the home owners have to fill out or do they just keep the receipt/invoice proving they had a new 16SEER system installed?
    Quoting from the website linked below:

"..improvements made in 2009 will be claimed on your 2009 taxes (filed by April 15, 2010) use IRS Tax Form 5695 (2009 version) it will be available late 2009 or early 2010"

http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?...pr_tax_credits

Quote Originally Posted by summit View Post
    There are some really good "bang for your buck" 16 SEER, 13 EER air conditioner with 95% furnace systems out there that will qualify for the 30% tax credit. It makes selling a 16 SEER in Minnesota a LOT easier.
    what brand and model#s would you put together as a package to sell a customer?

Quote Originally Posted by steve f View Post
    Quoting from the website linked below:

"..improvements made in 2009 will be claimed on your 2009 taxes (filed by April 15, 2010) use IRS Tax Form 5695 (2009 version) it will be available late 2009 or early 2010"

http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?...pr_tax_credits
    awesome man, thanks for that info

What about 80% variable speed?????

Both SteveF and TampaAC info is right, if you go the the energy star web site and look under FAQ most of your answers are there. However it looks to me like 80% or 90% less than 95% would still get the credit if they have a "advanced main air circulation fan" aka variable speed. I have been trying to nail this down with my suppliers and manufactures and there is a lot of confusion on this. Does anybody know.....and I mean know for sure.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast