Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

GOODMAN 3 TON AH QUESTION

My new HP will be installed this weekend by a reputable company. Based on info given here by BT and others, I have decided on a 14 SEER HP, with a new lineset.

The condensing unit is a Goodman model SSZ140361 3 ton unit.

The options the salesman gave me are:

Goodman AEPF303616 3ton VS AH, or a Goodman AEPF426016 3.5 -5 ton VS AH.
    I didnt ask the salesman the question about the difference in Air handler's yet, I wanted an oppinion from here first so I might ask him smarter questions.

To me, it seems the 303616 is a match, what is the advantage of the 426016? The 426016 adds quite a bit to the price. Is it worth it?

I live in Virginia Beach, VA if that helps.

No difference in ratings that I can see looking in the AHRI database. All 13 EER/15 SEER/9 HSPF (qualifying for tax credit). Shouldn't be a significant price; if it is, perhaps he has the 3036 air handler already.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    No difference in ratings that I can see looking in the AHRI database. All 13 EER/15 SEER/9 HSPF (qualifying for tax credit). Shouldn't be a significant price; if it is, perhaps he has the 3036 air handler already.

Ryan, I should have left "add's quite a bit of to the price"" out of my question. It wasnt that much $$ more considering the whole deal. Even though they are both AHRI matched, what does the larger AH size do for me? OR how is the larger AH a detriment?

I need to know before Friday.

Thanks for any info.

Riderman, I looked through Goodman's published specs and couldn't find anything differentiating the two units except electrical (to be expected)--almost makes them look identical. I'm not sure on the coil size; I assume it's different between the two since 3.5-5 ton units are only rated with the "larger" air handler. Could it be just a numbers thing? Possibly. Hopefully someone else more familiar with the specifics can give more info. http://www.goodmanmfg.com/Portals/0/pdf/SS-GAEPF.pdf

Stay with the 3036 air handler.
    The larger one doesn't slow the blower down as much, so humidity control would not be as good.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

The 426016 is as you know bigger then the 303616. So you may also have to think that the 3.5-5 ton could be too big for your current duct work since it will have a bigger blower then the 3 ton. You may want to ask the company installing it if they can do a CFM calculation to see if that A/H will work with your current duct.

ps.. we are practically neighbors! i live in chesapeake.

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    The larger one doesn't slow the blower down as much, so humidity control would not be as good.
    So does Goodman handle dehumidification differently than other brands? With another brand's air handler, for example, it will take the set speed setting and slow the blower down to 80% of that setting for a dehumidification call. What's preventing the AEPF4260 from slowing down for dehumidification as much as the 3036 is my question. Is it just a matter of different fan speed selections for the 4260?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post

Thanks BT. Is that the only issue? I expected a disertation in coil size vrs tonnage, vrs fan speed, or something

Thanks for your info! Humidity control is an issue with me, then freezing my but of now is an issue (winter storm here today)...LOL

Its not the blower that has a problem.
    More the large coil.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by skooter917 View Post
    The 426016 is as you know bigger then the 303616. So you may also have to think that the 3.5-5 ton could be too big for your current duct work since it will have a bigger blower then the 3 ton. You may want to ask the company installing it if they can do a CFM calculation to see if that A/H will work with your current duct.

I Just had a duct analysis done, I'm 8 cfm shy of 1200 CFM. BT claims the smaller AH will work better than the larger one, you seem to agree.

ps.. we are practically neighbors! i live in chesapeake.
    Then you know the climate I'm talking about..

Quote Originally Posted by riderman View Post
    Thanks BT. Is that the only issue? I expected a disertation in coil size vrs tonnage, vrs fan speed, or something

Thanks for your info! Humidity control is an issue with me, then freezing my but of now is an issue (winter storm here today)...LOL
    We had about 6".

Those large coils are ok if you have restrictive duct.
    But, if you duct is sized ok, then the larger coil just makes it harder to keep the RH down on milder temp days.

Makes you lower the stat set temp, defeating the purpose of getting a higher SEER unit.
    Contractor locator map

Smile go bigger

Go with the 4260 3.5-5. ton air handler.. the smaller unit will be maxed out at a/c speed. The 4260 apppears to have a 3/4 hp motor versus 1/3hp in the 3 ton AH. You can match the airflow to any duct system with the dip switches, down to 1050CFM. Get the thermostatic expansion valve kit for the heat pump as a add on..Dont use a orfice to feed that oversized coil. Make sure the AH coil has factory nitrogen charge when it arives at job site, keeps you from getting a leaker. Good Luck...

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by superheatrman View Post
    Go with the 4260 3.5-5. ton air handler.. the smaller unit will be maxed out at a/c speed. The 4260 apppears to have a 3/4 hp motor versus 1/3hp in the 3 ton AH. You can match the airflow to any duct system with the dip switches, down to 1050CFM. Get the thermostatic expansion valve kit for the heat pump as a add on..Dont use a orfice to feed that oversized coil. Make sure the AH coil has factory nitrogen charge when it arives at job site, keeps you from getting a leaker. Good Luck...
    Crap......do I go with BT, a man that has "been there" forever, and advice that I truely belive in, or superheaterman, who has advice that is beyond reproach.....Yea, I'm sucking up here..

A TXV valve will be installed, at an additional price of course....

I'm going for the highest quality that a poor man can aford. My 401 lost 50% this last year. Yea, I'm a cheap bastard at this time.........LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast