Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Contractor #2 came and went and I must say that he spent a lot more time looking at the job and asking questions. Unfortunately, he also bases furnace size on square footage, though he did agree to take a sheet of data (dimensions, wall and ceiling construction) about my house back to the office and do a calculation.

Who ever put in the AC created a bumped out area on the furnace plenum to get the A coil in and he said the A coil needs to be reoriented to be correct. So that adds a little to the price, though he is also quoting a Lennox vs an Amana.

I think I'm convinced that I want to go with a two stage burner with a variable speed motor.

I appreciate the feedback from all of you.

See what size his load calc says.

2 stage does improve comfort.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    I'm not a pro, but when watching the demonstration of HVAC-Calc heat gain/loss calculator, it suggested a 15-25% safety factor to add to the heat loss. Still, that's putting you at 40k btu.

Sizing by square footage is never the right way to do it.
    Like Ryan, I'm also not a PRO, but did my own ManJ using HVAC-calc after several PROs gave 'varying' quotes.

The program doesn't assume any particular OD temperatures like in your case, but relies on you telling it where you live. The result is a more accurate 'starting point' at which to add any safety factor if you should so choose.

The OD (design temperatures) are rarely exceeded, so on very cold days, you will enjoy long heating cycles.

Amp

The load calc's can be very accurate and uses the OD design temp in your area. Here is a chart for for the US.
    http://www.comfort-calc.net/outdoor_design_temps.html

Quote Originally Posted by hahnster1 View Post
    Most 2 stage equipment will work off of a single stage t'stat.Sure will, Take your pick, 1st stage or 2nd stage. I suggest that you call a couple of manufactures, ask who they consider is the best 3 dealers in your area and go from there.Yea, that'll work!

Quote Originally Posted by rbeck View Post
    The load calc's can be very accurate and uses the OD design temp in your area. Here is a chart for for the US.
    That's a neat chart. Is there a corresponding one for Summer time temps?

Amp

bamacool

Quote Originally Posted by BamaCool View Post
    All due respects sir, just trying to point this customer in the right direction and be profesional. Yes , Carrier 2 stage equipment will work very well with a single stage t'stat, and the Infinity controls are even better but I shouldn't have to remind you of that. Oh by the way, having worked for 2 of the top 3 Carrier dealers in the St. Louis area, beleive me, the area distributors know who they can rely on! Why such the negative attitude?

Quote Originally Posted by rbeck View Post
    The Manual J program I used has a similar city chart built in and it spit out a number within 1 degree of your chart.

Quote Originally Posted by hahnster1 View Post
    All due respects sir, just trying to point this customer in the right direction and be profesional. Yes , Carrier 2 stage equipment will work very well with a single stage t'stat, and the Infinity controls are even better but I shouldn't have to remind you of that. Oh by the way, having worked for 2 of the top 3 Carrier dealers in the St. Louis area, beleive me, the area distributors know who they can rely on! Why such the negative attitude?
    No negative attitude here, I just pointed out that not all 2 stage units will work as designed with a single stage t-stat. As far as the other comment about calling the manufacturer, if the HO asks for the "best" dealers they have, the only info they will get, if any, would be the ones that sell the most equipment, which by no means qualifies them as the best dealer for the HO, but rather, the best dealer for them.
    That's all. No disrespect toward you either.

Quote Originally Posted by Travelover View Post
    The Manual J program I used has a similar city chart built in and it spit out a number within 1 degree of your chart.
    What was the 5 degree assumed temperature you mentioned earlier?

Amp

Quote Originally Posted by ampulman View Post
    What was the 5 degree assumed temperature you mentioned earlier?

Amp
    The Manual J I used assumed 5 degrees F outside temperature. The chart posted says 6 degrees F for Metro Detroit, thus 1 degree difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Travelover View Post
    The Manual J I used assumed 5 degrees F outside temperature. The chart posted says 6 degrees F for Metro Detroit, thus 1 degree difference.
    O.K., I skimmed your original post....missed that. Sorry.

Amp

Another question

In my original post I was lamenting that I only had 4 wires to my current thermostat and I'd really like to have a two stage thermostat (5 wires) installed, but running the additional wire would be tough.

I came across this Venstar Add-a-wire gadget. Has anyone used one? It seems like a perfect solution. Would a contractor carry this?

http://www.venstar.com/Support/Manua...ManualRev1.pdf

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast