Thread: Tripped breaker

Post Likes

Tripped breaker

I have a Carrier Heat pump, about 2 years old (new home). Yesterday the main breaker tripped. After wondering why the house was 20 degrees below set point I discovered that problem, I reset it and all seems well. My AH filter is 4" 3M (20" x 25") only about 2 months old, so I don't think it's a AH resistance problem. Should I call an HVAC guy to check it out or wait to see if it trips again? Seems to cool and heat fine.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    By "main breaker" ,do you mean the one for the indoor or outdoor section, of the heat pump??

Post Likes
    Outdoor in main breaker box. My Thermostat was "blank", so pretty much cut power to anything AC related.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by TConnors View Post
    Outdoor in main breaker box. My Thermostat was "blank", so pretty much cut power to anything AC related.
    Meaning the indoor unit, but breaker is located outside?

Post Likes
    There should be seperate breakers for the indoor and outdoor units, if not you have problems.

Post Likes
    We must be talking package unit here.....?

Post Likes
    A blatant violation of the rules!
    Last edited by Senior Tech; 03-02-2009 at 09:44 PM.

Post Likes
    A "free fix" that might just result in major medical bills????
    Just my opinion here.....If you have to borrow a meter, maybe you should just call a tech.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoIsThat? View Post
    A blatant violation of the rules!
    Sorry!

Post Likes
    Who knows why the breaker tripped. Could be a breaker going bad. But they trip for a reason. It wouldn't hurt to get it checked out.
    I like DIY'ers. They pay better to fix.

Post Likes
    I plan on calling a tech if it trips again. On the outdoor panel I have a "AC" breaker, a 30A and 60A both labeled "Furnace". The "60A "Furnace" is what tripped. My "guess" is it got cold real fast and emergency heat came on and possibly overloaded the breaker. I don't plan on playing electrician, I'll call for help if it trips again. I was really just wondering if an AH can cause a breaker to trip once in 2 years due to some abnormal surge... or if my 4" 3M merv13 filter may be causing too much resistance for the fan motor. AH is in attic, single speed motor, 4 Ton "builders" unit.

Post Likes
    With a clogged filter on a furnace you worry about problems that come frrom excessive heat rise. With an air handler with a clogged filter, you are actually drawing less amps, because the fan is doing less work. Heat strips should be on their own breaker also.

Post Likes
    A breaker that trips very infrequently can be hard to troubleshoot, but there are recording instruments that can monitor key system test points and babysit them until the fault shows up.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    What Kw of electric heat do you have?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in