Question All in one Heat pump advice needed please

(scattered questions, forgive me)

1972 Single story/1,995sq ft house in Central TN

Currently have a Carrier 50JX-030-301/2.5 ton unit (anyone know how old this unit is approx?) I was told it was a 2000/'02 unit. Thinking of replacing the Carrier with a Trane XL14c or XL16c.

I'm wondering if a 2.5ton unit was sufficient enough in the first place because I've been told by 2 techs now that I needed at least a 3ton unit for this size of house, and that's why I've been cold in the Winter and Hot in the Summer. Both techs also said the unit was running fine and was in good health.

Since I bought the house a couple years ago, the unit just can't seem to keep up unless the temp is perfect. I'd say 35f+ for Heat and 85-90f max for AC.
    The ducting seems to be decent, but I see 1 major fault. In the attic, there is only 6" of blown cellulose (equalling R18+/-?) Needs to be around R38 I believe.

Would just adding insulation make that much of a difference, or could it be both that I need to do?

Need serial # to tell age made.

Size of equipment needed is based on a lot more than just sq ft of home. How many windows, direction, doors, insulation level. And yes, getting R38 would make a world of difference in heating & cooling the house and costs thereof.

You need to insulate to at least an R 30, but R 38 is preferred.

Secondly, your HVAC professional should have performed a load calculation on your home.

Carrier Serial# 3201G14197

Windows= 17 (single pane w/storm windows and original to the old house, but seem decent and seal well)

As for the load calculation, it hasn't been done yet. A company normally does this along with a quote for free if you're looking to buy a new unit, correct?

Many companies don't do them.

Ask if they do load calcs when you call to set up an estimate.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Yea, made in 2001 so installed late 2001 to 2002. Not that old. Giving you any trouble?