Thread: tight spot

This is the crawlway to the furnace. The plywood is setting on top of the ductwork.

This is what you have to crawl over to get to the furnace. How bout that insulation job?

And this is what I crawled over all that crap for. What do you do now? I guess the installer thought it would never need to be serviced.

[Edited by Boss on 12-28-2003 at 10:08 PM]

Looks like it needs a complete NEW system!
    At least BETTER access.
    Those who dance, appear insane to those who do not hear the music.
    Those who believe, appear ignorant to those who do not know God.

You mean you can't relight the pilot without tearing out drywall??! This surely had to be done by a do it yourselfer, no htg. guy would put one in he couldn't service.

Originally posted by jyost797
    . . .no htg. guy would put one in he couldn't service.
    Oh, yeah they would. I've worked for contractors (big companies, in business for decades) who do crap just exactly like that. I was threatened with losing my job because I pulled out the code book and showed my boss where this was illegal installation. He yelled at me, "I've been doing them like this for 30 years!"

BTW Air Plus, your profile says you are in Arkansas, so I was wondering how you got those pictures of a house in Daphne Alabama?
    Hindsight is NOT a plan!

Talking

Right on BAMA!!

It seems the bigger companies are getting worse!! Inspected a job that passed city inspection a week earlier. WROTE 4 PAGES OF CODE/INSTALLATION VIOLATIONS!!!

It was stuff that was easy to miss:
    Flex hung with thermostat wire
    No drip legs in the gas line
    No union between 2 psi gas regulator and gas valve
    3" vent pipe on a 4" minimum system
    ETC...ETC...

Had to meet with the homeowner, restoration company and the other contractor. They did not install a drier on the A/C system when they re-installed the system. He said he had been doing this for 15 years and never installed a drier!! I told him I was sorry, that I had only done this kind of work for 20+ years and he had been screwing up for so long!! The homeowner and restoration company thought it was funny!! I now do their HVAC!

I went to work for a guy once, and on my third day, they sent me to change out a bad burn out. Back in those days, you just dumped the refrigerant. It was black and smelled like vomit.

I go to the truck to get a cleanup drier. None. I call the office on the radio and ask for a 7/8 inch burnout clean up drier, with as large a capacity as they could find. An hour later, up rolsl the owner with an 4 cubic inch, 3/8 inch liquid line drier and telsl me, "I've been doing this 30 years, and I ain't never used one of them biog driers. They're a waste of money."

I worked for him a total of two weeks.
    Hindsight is NOT a plan!

Look at the post It worked in the wall of shame section. I found this one. A 3 year old carrier, 4 ton with a 5/16" liquid line approximately 50' long. Stats are there. PITIFUL!! The company took panels off the old GE unit and used them for fill plates on the return plenum box! Quality and professionalism...all in one!!

"Go first class, even if you have to walk back"!!

Originally posted by BamaCracker
    I went to work for a guy once, and on my third day, they sent me to change out a bad burn out. Back in those days, you just dumped the refrigerant. It was black and smelled like vomit.

I go to the truck to get a cleanup drier. None. I call the office on the radio and ask for a 7/8 inch burnout clean up drier, with as large a capacity as they could find. An hour later, up rolsl the owner with an 4 cubic inch, 3/8 inch liquid line drier and telsl me, "I've been doing this 30 years, and I ain't never used one of them biog driers. They're a waste of money."

I worked for him a total of two weeks.
    A perfect illustration of how many people in this business abuse the experience factor.

Talking

Went on a job kinda like that a few months ago and when I arrived at the unit I was amazed at the laughter I could expell out of my lungs. First the unit wasn't servicable, then i looked how the unit was hung.........a series of linked coat hangers wrapped around nails.....How this ever happened i don't know...but what I do know is this....some coathanger factory made a 400 percent sales increase this year.