Mini-Split Heat Pump

Hi all,

First post here. I am in Washngton, DC. I am thinking to install a mini-split heat pump + cooling system in my basemnt which has no heat nor air conditioning. Is mini-split is a good chice for the climate at my location? I have heard that mini-split doesn't work too well when the outside temp is too low or too high. The problem is I can't find out what temp is too low or too high.

Washington DC's average low in Jan is 24F and average high in July is 89F.

Thanks

We install Mitsubishi splits. They work great here in Jersey.

They even have a model that is 100% capacity at 5 degrees.
    http://www.mrslim.com/Products/subCa...CategoryID=149

Some models stop heating at 14, some at 0.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

The Mitsubishi Mr. Slim, MXZ3A30NA / MSZA09NA Tri-Zone system is what I am thinking about.

Hey, ascj, how is the electricity usage for your system? Do you find it reasonably economical?
    At Mitsubishi site, it says it works as low as 14F. I haven't been in DC for that long, don't know how much the winter temp varies from year to year. Has your system been working out for you in the past few winters there in Jersey?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank_Cumming View Post
    The Mitsubishi Mr. Slim, MXZ3A30NA / MSZA09NA Tri-Zone system is what I am thinking about.

Hey, ascj, how is the electricity usage for your system? Do you find it reasonably economical?
    At Mitsubishi site, it says it works as low as 14F. I haven't been in DC for that long, don't know how much the winter temp varies from year to year. Has your system been working out for you in the past few winters there in Jersey?
    The one you mentioned is great on electrical usage and we have installed a few.

As far as them working out, we havent had any call backs on them. Being relitively new, this was the first winter for them.

Oh, in term of "working out", by that I mean, does it provide good, comfy warmth for you? There were a few very freezing days here in Mid-Atlantic the past couple of months.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank_Cumming View Post
    Oh, in term of "working out", by that I mean, does it provide good, comfy warmth for you? There were a few very freezing days here in Mid-Atlantic the past couple of months.
    They aren't in my house. Im a contractor and we have installed a few of these in the last year. No one called and said they aren't heating, so I say they are good, giving the low temps we had this winter.

Before I was suggested the mini-split system, I was thinking to add radiators to the basement (zoning out from the extisting old boiler) and use window units when Summer comes. I figured the Mr Slim ssytem will be about $x more to do (equipment + install) but I don't have to spend $$$ on windows units later. So, may be it's only about $x more than the radiator option. I think it's wise for me to go w/ the Mr Slim. Your thought?
    Last edited by beenthere; 03-01-2009 at 10:49 PM. Reason: Removed prices.

If your electrical prices are reasonable the Mr Slim should work great for your situation. I'm doing the same thing for my basement here in Minnesota, with electric radiant as back-up.
    White Bear Township, Minnesota
    www.summitheating.com

Thank you for the advice, guys. My apology for putting the dollar amount in my post, I realized that posting prices is not allowed but I didn't know that posting differences in prices is not allowed either.